Sunday, January 29, 2012

Favorite Players: Rob Ducey


In 2010, Rob Ducey had a great idea to hold a free-agent showcase, where minor league free agents could come together in Florida and show off their skills. There would be scouts in attendance, as well as former Major Leaguers as coaches to help run the process. The event happened shortly before Spring Training, and somehow didn't generate enough interest to continue happening. I thought it was a great idea, and wished it had. The event had a website (since removed) where you could contact Rob if you were a player interested in attending. I contacted him and asked him if it was ok to come and try to get autographs of him, some players, and coaches. He responded to my e-mail very quickly and gave me the ok. I arrived at the park, and he immediately came up to me and signed a card and I thanked him for how fast he responded and for letting me come. Later, I remember him going outside of the stadium to retrieve a foul ball hit down the right field side, and the coaches kidding him for being cheap and getting the ball. Towards the end of the event, he came up to me and asked me if I was hungry. They had apparently got some catered BBQ for the event and the players were done and he wanted to make sure I got something to eat. I will never forget how nice Rob was. He is now coaching in the minors for Clearwater, and I hope to make it to Daytona to see him again.

ROB DUCEY CARDS I HAVE:
1987 Donruss Highlights
1988 Fleer
1989 Topps
1990 Topps
1990 Upper Deck
1991 Score
1991 Topps
1992 Donruss
1992 Topps (ip auto)
1992 Topps Gold Winners
1993 Topps
1993 Topps Gold
1994 Topps Team Stadium Club 1st Day Issue
1994 Topps
1994 Topps Gold
1998 Topps custom
2002 Topps custom

No comments:

Post a Comment