Sunday, January 3, 2016

Coaches Center Part 3: 2004 Topps Jeff Cox

I never really knew or cared about Jeff Cox until I was watching something on WGN during a rain delay of a White Sox game a few years ago, and it was talking about White Sox coach Jeff Cox. Cox seemed like a colorful and fun guy and seemed like he got along well with his players. I picked up a few of his cards on COMC and decided to try to get his autograph ttm. If I recall correctly, he had some great stats as far as stolen bases. He signed the cards, and I have been a fan of his ever since, even though I really don't care for the Marlins or the White Sox. 

Jeff was a coach on the '03 Marlins World Championship team that beat the Bankee$ that year. Topps hadn't made coach cards in forever, and still doesn't (except for maybe a team set or two), so this card wouldn't have seen the light of day if not for me deciding to make it. I feel that everyone who puts on a uniform and plays a part in the decisions of a game should get a card (coaches, managers, and players), as well as maybe the stadium and a team photo. It's too bad that these kind of cards don't get made anymore. .

The card was a little troublesome to make. I had to take a regular '04 Topps Marlins card and blend the silver Marlins logo from their '04 team card to make it. The fonts matched up really well, and so did the coloring of it. I think it looks just like a card that you could've found in '04 Topps packs had Topps produced it.

Thanks for checking out my first post of 2016!
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment