Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Dick Pole Project Part 9: 1998 Topps Dick Pole

You may or may not have noticed, but I skipped card #111, which would've been the next card in the set. I had done a '95 Topps card of Bobby Thigpen featuring him in a Phillies uniform. Unfortunately, he played for the Seattle Mariners in '94, so I need to redo the card. Instead of not posting, I just decided to post the next card after the Thigpen, which is a '98 Topps Dick Pole card. 

Dick was spending his last season coaching the Giants in 1997. After the season, he would go to the Red Sox, then the Angels, then Indians, then Expos, back to the Cubs, then finally finish up with the Reds. 

For this card, I chose to make it pretty similar to a regular '98 Topps card, just substituting the team name in the bar at the bottom for the coach position. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The '98 Topps set is hard to work with because the gold foil at the bottom is tough to read with dark colors behind it. I took the easy way out on this card and just used the color on the border for the name and bar so you could see it. 

I haven't decided yet if I want to post all of the Dick Pole cards in one post or just spread them out and do them one by one because I have 12 more to go, and most of those will be in a row. It might just depend on how many cards I have 'on reserve' ready to post. I have been trying to keep ahead and have 20 or so cards waiting to post just so in case I can't work on any that I can still post some. With all the work on the '92  Topps set I have been doing, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep cards in reserves, but I've still managed to make a few now and then. 

I hope you've enjoyed the latest card in the Dick Pole Project. Thanks for checking out my blog. 
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment