Tuesday, May 22, 2018

1998 Topps #900-950

I have been slowly churning away at the 1998 Topps set, trying to get through with the National League. I have finished the Pittsburgh Pirates, leaving me only with the St. Louis Cardinals, San Diego Padres, and San Francisco Giants to finish the National League.  I'm hoping to get the set done by the end of this year, but even that may be too optimistic. Here are the next 50 cards in the set.

















































After doing this chunk of cards, I have to say that without some of the cheaper sets at the time like Pacific, and without random autographed photos that are online, I would not have been able to finish this set. I was a huge baseball fan in the late '90's, and I could've told you the starting lineups for just about the whole AL and NL, but even some of these guys I had never heard of. That's what will make it such an accomplishment if I can get every player in the '90's to have a baseball card in the 1991-2000 Topps sets. It may take a few decades, but it's possible, I think.
I finally was able to find some 2018 Bowman packs in Wal-Mart the other day. It's about time, because I am pulling doubles like crazy out of 2018 Donruss, and my wife is running out of new cards to get me when she feels like getting me a few packs. I guess she could try Gypsy Queen, but I've never really cared for that set. Isn't that what Allen & Ginter is for? Why do we need 2 tobacco-era sets? Anyways, I didn't pull the Ohtani, but I got a few Rays and the standard refractor-type insert cards. I don't think I pulled any good rookies, but who knows, maybe in a few years. I was pulling all kinds of second-year cards of guys who looked like they would be good. I guess that's just my luck. Only a few more weeks until 2018 Topps Series 2 comes out, and I will have something new to bust that will hopefully stay on the shelves. If I can just get through Memorial Day at work, June should be a breeze. I'm going to a Rays/Mariners game on the 10th (hoping Ichiro is signing more now that he isn't a player), my birthday is on the 14th, and that will basically get me through the month. July 4th will be a pain at work, but after that, I just have a few weeks in July, and then hopefully vacation in August!! I've been needing one for a few months now, so I think this one will be really nice. Might also have a card show by then, I could really use one of those as well.
I had a random question before I go. I had a friend go to a card show the other day, and he found a custom 1971 Topps Clemente in a $5 box. Does this happen much at shows? I have only been to one show in my life, and while I did run across a 1985 Topps USA Will Clark card, I didn't see anything else, and didn't think it was that big of a deal. Has anyone else spotted customs at card shows? There is a douche on eBay that is selling cards that he didn't even make, and he is making a killing off of them. I'm ok with guys selling customs, just not ones that they didn't make. If he ever tries to sell any of mine again, there is going to be trouble.
Thank you for checking out my latest '98 Topps cards.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment