Tuesday, October 4, 2016

1999 Topps #501 Rick White

Rick White had a fairly long career in the Majors, playing from 1994-2007. He came up with the Pirates in 1994, and made it back to the Bigs with them in 1995. He spent '96 and '97 in the minors, and then caught on with the Devil Rays for 1998 through the 2000 trading deadline, when he was traded to the Mets. He played with them in 2001, then started the '02 season with the Rockies. He was acquired by the Cardinals during the 2002 season, which kind of started a team carousel with him. He spent 2003 with the White Sox and Astros, 2004 with the Indians, 2005 with the Pirates, 2006 with the Reds and Phillies, and 2007 with the Astros and Mariners before retiring.

I actually saw White pitch a few times with the Rays in '98, '99, and '00. I have a ziplock bag full of ticket stubs of games I went to, and if I can find it while I'm unpacking things, I'll have to look up the Rays games I went to so I can see who I watched pitch besides Dennis Springer and Esteban Yan, who gave up dozens of Home Runs while I was there.

Unfortunately for Rick, he didn't appear on many Topps cards. He got a 1994 Topps Traded card, then missed out on a card until 2001 when he appeared in the regular set. He got a 2002 Topps card, and a 2003 Topps Traded card. He has a 2006 Topps Phillies Fan Appreciation Day card, which looks exactly like a card from the '06 set except having yellowish foil instead of silver foil on it. Rick needs a bunch of cards to complete his career Topps run. They are from the 1995-2000 and 2004-2008 Topps sets.  This 1999 Topps customs knocks one off of the list, but there are a ton left.

My softball games were cancelled last night because of wet fields, and I was ok with that because I have been so tired from work, moving, and unpacking boxes that I probably wouldn't have went to the games had the fields been good. All our stuff from the apartment is moved into the new house, and aside from some stuff in storage, we are done with the heavy furniture, and I put a good dent in unpacking boxes, getting all of the kitchen stuff done 2 days ago.
I got made full-time at work 5 days ago, so I will have 2 days off every week, not 3, but the extra money will be worth it I hope. I'm going to try to record some music on my next day off instead of doing custom stuff just because I really want to finish recording these songs before baby comes. I've been wanting to record them for the last 15 years, but never did it because I figured I would have time later. I figure it will be easier to do custom stuff with a baby crying randomly than to record music.
Thanks for checking out my latest custom.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment