Saturday, October 8, 2016

1999 Topps #504 Dennis Springer

Oh Dennis Springer.....I have posted a few times on other posts about seeing Dennis give up Homers. While a 15 year old in 1998, I went to about 5 games at Tropicana Field. Out of them, I believe I saw Springer pitch 4 of them. In each, he would give up 3-4 Homers off of his knuckleball, and the game would be over before the end of the 3rd Inning.

Dennis came up to the Majors in 1995 with the Phillies. He played with the Angels in 1996 and 1997, and then had that fateful 3-11 1998 season with the Rays. He mercifully went to the Marlins in 1999, spent 2000 with the Mets, and finished out his career with the Dodgers in 2001 and 2002. In 2001, he gave up a famous Home Run, Barry Bonds' 73rd of the season. I know I'm getting on Springer for all of the Homers he gave up, and I'm sure he's a better pitcher than I could ever dream of being, and I do really wish him the best in life, but you would think with all the guys hitting bombs off of your knuckleball that you would mix in a fastball, changeup, or curve once in a while.

Springer only had 1 Topps card, a 1998 one with him as an Angel in the photo. I plan on doing another 1998 card with him in a Rays uniform, as well as his 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 cards to finish his career Topps run. For this 1999 custom, I was able to find a photo of Springer getting a ball from the catcher after giving up a Home Run. I think it might even have been at the Trop, but I can't tell for sure.

We have been without power for a day, but really have been lucky with the hurricane and just have a good amount of branches to clean up. I'm at work posting on my lunch, and might spend tonight at a hotel if the power doesn't come back. I'm ready to kick things into gear and finish unpacking stuff before baby gets here in a month, and this no power thing is throwing a big wrench in the plans. Oh well. At least I'm able to get to work and post some customs during lunch. Thanks for checking out my latest post. -Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment