Monday, October 17, 2016

1999 Topps #507 Brad Pennington

Brad Pennington came up to the Majors in 1993 with the Baltimore Orioles. He stayed with them until the middle of  '95, then was traded to the Reds. He played with the Red Sox and Angels in 1996, then played his final season in the Bigs in 1998 with the Devil Rays.

Brad received his first Topps card in the 1993 set as part of the Coming Atteactions subset. I remember that card pretty well as I was in 5th grade in 1993 and had just about all of that subset but was missing the Orioles card for it, and I was also missing the final checklist of the set, so I never knew who the card pictured. For our classes Christmas party, we had a gift exchange, and my dad picked out 2 1993 Topps Series 2 packs from a gas station. I got to choose a gift midway through the exchange, and traded whatever I picked for the cards that my dad had picked out. Somehow, nobody caught me and traded gifts, so I got the 2 packs, and I pulled the Pennington. Brad got a card in the 1994 set, and that was his final Topps card. He is missing cards from the 1995, 1996, and 1997 Topps sets. This 1999 Topps custom would've been Brads final Topps card.

This is the final '98 Devil Ray custom for a while. I am still a few cards from finishing the set, but got a little tired of making 1999 customs, so there are plenty of other sets to show off in upcoming posts. I finished the 2000 and 1996 Topps templates, and am working on the 1989 set now, which is 4 teams away from having the NL completely done. Maybe I'll get to the 1990 set soon. We'll see. Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment