Monday, January 1, 2024

2023 Collecting goals revisited and 2024 goals

 It appears back on January 3 of 2023, I set some collecting goals for 2023. Let's laugh at me and see how unrealistic my goals were.

BIG GOALS

1. Complete a run of Detroit Tigers Topps base cards from 1980-2023 (including Update). 

I wasn't able to do this. I feel like I got a little closer to finishing off some of the sets, and even did finish a few via completing some entire sets, but I know for sure I didn't get the 2 2005 Verlanders. FAIL.

2. Complete a run of Topps sets from 1980-2001 (including Update).

I wasn't able to do this as the process of logging cards into TCDB just took alot longer than I had hoped it would and I never was able to start on digging through common boxes as soon as I had hoped. FAIL. Speaking of TCDB....

3. Log all of my cards into TCDB.

I have logged all of my 'Topps' cards into TCDB, but still have Topps inserts, and all of the other brands to put into the site. I have made progress with it, as the NL is finished except for the Padre$, Giants, and Nationals. After that, the entire AL, and random binders, and my entire collection will be logged into the site. Maybe in 2024. FAIL.

SMALLER GOALS

1. Get the 2023 Topps Rays set.

I accomplished this goal as I got the entire 2023 and Update set. COMPLETE!

2. Finish the 2023 Topps set. 

This goal was also accomplished with the set. COMPLETE!

3. Get the complete 1995 and 1998 Topps set. 

This one was technically not finished, but I did get the '95 set and the '98 Topps Rays Inaugural season set. I'm counting it! COMPLETE!

As far as other goals, my boss is still here, but almost got transferred. If not for a family issue, he would’ve been gone, but the higher ups felt sorry for him and left him here. That issue has basically been resolved, so I’m hoping to have him gone in 2024. Our assistant manager is great and a real team player, so maybe we can get an in store promotion. 
I was able to go to opening day in 2023, but the Rays really disappointed me by not inviting the 1998 team to the game. I’m almost through with them and their penny pinching ways. 
I was able to celebrate my 40th birthday driving between Washington, DC and Alexandria, VA. Not a memorable day of my birthday, but the trip we were on during it was great. Got to see PA for the first time, and Pittsburgh (specifically the drive into it coming out of the tunnel) was amazing!  PNC Park is high up on my list of stadiums visited, and the Nationals had a beautiful stadium as well. Getting to visit 3 MLB stadiums in a year is a good year no matter who you are. 
Karens head issues are still there with headaches sometimes ruining plans but at least we didn’t have any surgeries this year because that opens up the door to seeing other doctors. 
I don’t know if I grew too much as a man this year, but I feel like I’ve learned through various interactions with different people this year that the things my boss accuses me of and ways he says I act are mainly him and his personality and that I actually AM a good baker and I handle criticism well and have things going for me. I still want to figure out a way to be less angry and handle when I get angry better (if you have any tips I would love to hear), and be better about making time for Kyler when he gets home instead of going straight to the cards. 

Card goals for this year 

BIG

1. Complete a Topps run from 1980-1989. 1986-1989 is basically finished, and I have a good chunk of 81 and 82 done. I think this all depends on how much gets uploaded to TCDB and how many trades I can pull off. 

2. Upload the rest of my collection to TCDB. This might get done as almost half of my binders are done. 

3. Get my cards in binders. This could get done once I upload them to TCDB. Might take the remainder of the year once I get them uploaded, but perhaps I can do it. 

SMALL

1. Finish my ‘90’s Topps run. I just need a handful from 1996, so this is pretty doable. 

2. Finish off a the 2002 Topps set. Another pretty easy one as my recent trip to John’s better a number of the set. 

3. Finish the 2021 Topps Update set. Just need David Hale, and I have a feeling it will be at my LCS next time I go. 

Other non-card related goals include seeing a new MLB stadium, visit new states, I would love to move out of Florida and get a little distance from relatives, get better control of my diabetes, maybe get a man-cave, and spend a little less time on my phone. There are many other things I would like to do, but are kind of far off lifetime goals. Getting some of my original songs recorded, get in the Guinness book of World Records, throw a first pitch at a game, be on a real baseball card, travel out of the US, get another pineapple to bloom in my garden, and win the lotto. If I could get just one of those, it would be a win this year. One of two final ones would be to see the Rays or Tigers win a World Series, and to see the Bama and Yankee$ dynasties finally broken up for good. 

I hope to check back periodically and make some progress on these goals this year. I wish you all the best of luck with cards and life in 2024!  

Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy 


5 comments:

  1. Best of luck on your 2024 goals! Glad you were able to make it to 3 MLB stadiums this year. I didn't go to a single game. Hopefully I will in 2024 though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set of goals and good luck on them. Always great to get them in writing and check in each month! If you're in Florida getting out of the US could be a trip to Key West (its like a foreign country) or those weekend cruises on Margaritaville at Sea to the Bahamas seem like a good option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’ve actually been on cruises and they have been fun. I didn’t even think of that as an option, but maybe that might be a good idea with the way plane ticket prices are insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta have goals! I see Nick Saban retired, so does that count?

    Much belated Merry Christmas and Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete