Friday, September 22, 2023

More ‘22 Bowman Platinum

 Yesterday we went to Wal-Mart, and I got, you guessed it, a blaster of 2022 Bowman Platinum. 

Even though there weren’t any numbered cards, autographs, or very big names, this was a decent blaster for me, with 4 Rays, 2 Tigers, and a Julio Rodriguez rookie. The Franco may or may not be a good card, I’ll probably find out after the season. I’ve heard good things about Basabe and Pie, and I felt like Josh Lowe would break out maybe in 2024, but he has put up almost breakoutish numbers in 2023 with almost 20 HRs and 75 RBIs up to this point. Torkelson is also doing better for my Tigers. I also got a base and Ice parallel of Jake Burger. 
For the ‘guys who I can’t tell if they are rookies or not because Bowman Platinum doesn’t have a 1st Bowman Platinum card logo’, there is Robert Gasser (hope he has a nice fastball), Andrew Painter, Kahlil Watson, and Tyler Black (with an Ice parallel). I think all of these guys would have to be rookies because they were all 2021 draft picks, and I pulled a Kahlil Watson rookie from ‘22 Bowman. It is confusing with draft picks though, because with the Bowman Draft set, many guys get drafted and get a Bowman Draft card in the same year. This is the kind of thing MLB needs to be inserting their hands into and making rules on, not on making one company hold an exclusive license or putting MLB debut patches on jerseys and then on rookie cards. The last 2 cards were my last 2 Ice parallels. 
These were the regular cards I pulled. A few might be dupes, but I won’t know for sure until I add them to my monster boxes, which I might just hold off on until I get a bigger stack of cards. I’m on day 5 of an 8 day stretch of work, but good news is I’ll have Tuesday and Wednesday off, and I’ll be able to do something card-related, whether that be entering Topps cards from the few remaining teams into TCDB or working on the big custom project. Either way, it will be a nice relaxing time. By then, the Yankee$ may be eliminated from playoff contention, so I might have a new Yankee Elimination Day card to print, as well as a post on the topic to work on. Currently, I am on 1985 in my Twins binder and I’ll get back to entering that Topps set in the DB on Monday afternoon probably. I probably won’t get the rest of my teams finished by Wednesday, but maybe 2-3 teams, so just leaving me with the Rangers, Blue Jays, Yankee$, Team USA/Olympic team, and random cards like St. Louis Browns, commissioners, etc. Getting excited to be so close to be end and be able to conjure up some need lists for my Topps sets. 
I’m hoping to make some kind of notebook or folder that I can put all of my need lists in so I can easily look through and mark them off. I want to make something that will hold paper but keep the paper from tearing but makes it easy to cross off cards while at shops or shows. I’ll either type or write out the lists, with card #, player name, and perhaps a team name. I want the font to be as small as possible so I can keep the page numbers down to a minimum. 
Plastic sleeves would be great to keep the papers from coming out of the binder, but I couldn’t mark off cards quickly, as I anticipate having to flip through multiple sets as dime/quarter/whatever boxes generally aren’t very organized by years. Perhaps doing a stronger paper or a putting something strong around the holes and just hole punching through it will work. I want to use some kind of highlighting system to mark off cards I purchase or acquire. Someday it will all be more than an idea and I’ll be marking off cards and hopefully finishing sets and reliving great baseball seasons and history through completed sets. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy 

1 comment: