Saturday, September 23, 2023

2023 Prizm Blaster

 We ended up going to Target after I got off work today, and while there wasn’t much to offer in terms of baseball cards, they did have 2023 Prizm. While it probably wouldn’t be my first choice if other options were there, I was willing to take a flyer on a blaster, especially with shiny cards inside. 
It took about 15 minutes after I opened them for me to remember that Panini had lost their license. The retired ‘90’s guys and prospects didn’t clue me in, it was more the guys from the early 20th century and Negro League guys that did. When is the last time you got a Joe Tinker card?
I couldn’t tell you if any of these prospects are rookies or not, can you?

I believe 3 different Cleveland team names are represented with the Naps, Indians, and Guardians. 
I pulled a Green Ice of Tigers prospect Luke Gold and a 3-Hole of former Rays prospect Kyle Manzaedo. Hope Civale can make this trade worth it and pitch Tampa to a title this year. A nice pull out of the ‘90’s guys was Cecil Fielder, a guy I collect. The Chipper is another guy I collect, but according to TCDB, I have 144/1,670 Fielder cards for 8.6% of all of his cards. I have 229/18,839 cards for 1.2% of his cards. There are just so many Chipper cards out there and not enough Fielder cards. The Ice Blue cards are kind of cool, but I just have issues with some of the older guys as well as newer guys being in the set that keeps me from being excited from getting the shiny cards of them. I’ve just never been a fan of older baseball. Really anything pre-Topps. I can listen to stories of Aaron, Mantle, Brock, Mays, and guys who were pretty old, and I feel like I can relate some just because I know the cards. The closer to the present, the better, and the more players I have actually heard of. I just don’t get that excited about guys who played in the ‘40’s and earlier (even Tigers guys) because there weren’t many power hitters, not many different photos to choose from, and it just feels like it was a different game than what I grew up on in the ‘90’s. 
To be honest, even the guys I grew up watching that I pulled like Maddux, Chipper, Vizquel, Edmonds, Big Frank, and Nomar just didn’t do it for me because I’ve pulled hundreds of their cards growing up. While I feel like I’ve pulled a ton of Alomar cards as well, it hasn’t been near the amount of the other guys. Put some guys in sets like Rich Gedman instead of Carlton Fisk, Tom Herr instead of Ozzie Smith, Marquis Grissom instead of Andruw Jones, Chris Sabo instead of Barry Larkin, and Ron Darling instead of Tom Seaver. Guys you weren’t bombarded with cards of in the ‘80’s, ‘90’s, and ‘00’s, but guys who are enough of fan favorites and recognizable names that they have a shot at getting into a teams Hall of Fame. 
All in all, I thought the box was decent with the Tiger hit and a Ray and 2 guys I collect, but I might pump the brakes if it’s the only thing left on the shelves. Hopefully it won’t be too long before Update hits the shelves. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy


2 comments:

  1. You need to go with me to Ormond or just meet me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never plan to buy Panini baseball so thanks for sharing the cards!

    ReplyDelete