Monday, September 30, 2019

Trade with Too Many Verlanders

A few weeks ago, I reached out to Dennis of Too Many Verlanders and asked if he wanted to trade some cards. I had a Ken Griffey, Jr. card that he needed, and he was looking to get rid of some extra Tigers cards, and a little over a week ago, his end of the trade showed up at my door. 

He sent some great relic cards of Magglio Ordonez, Austin Jackson, Evan Longoria, and Edwin Jackson. The AJ and Edwin Jackson relics are the first relic cards I have of them, and the Ordonez card nicely compliments an 8-player jersey card I have of Magglio and a base card featuring Ordonez and Frank Thomas. The Longo card is one of my favorites of the package, and it marks the second jersey card I have of Evan (I have a minor league jersey one), and the first piece of his bat. 
I recived too many Tigers to count in the package, which was probably close to 700 cards deep. There were so many cool cards. An Aurelio Lopez OPC, Jack Morris League Leader, '85 Morris, '88 OPC Doyle Alexander, an '89 Topps Frank Tanana to replace the autographed one, and a '94 Bowman's Best Justin Thompson. I pulled the Thompson in '96 or so, and I could've swore I had the card, but I guess at some point I lost it, so now I have it again. The middle row features a '94 Donruss Lou Whitaker parallel, a tough-to-pull '94 Score Boys of Summer Danny Bautista, Kirk Gibson's last Topps card, Mike Moore's sunset UD card (a parallel, too!), and 2 '96 Topps card I was missing. I got so many autographs from around 1996-2010, but I sold them in 2013. A number of these cards helped replace autographed ones that were sold. The bottom row features sweet Kapler, Catlalanotto, and Matt Anderson rookies, a cool Chris Wakeland Bowman insert, and 2 shiny Juan Gonzalez cards.
The next photo has a 2001 Donruss Jermaine Clark (a set I have like only 4 cards of, and a player whom I only had 1 card of before recieving this one), a Jack Morris, Harvey Kuenn, George Kell, and Al Kaline Archives card, a Juan Gonzalez (infielder) Bowman, a Sparky Anderson '03 UD Vintage to replace one I got signed. I love the Sleeth and Zumaya rookies. I got their autographs a number of times in Spring Training, and wished I would've had those cards back then. The Archives Kaline is sweet, and I could've probably got it signed in the spring as well. The Willis is a nice parallel, and I like the Luke Putkonen Bowman Chrome card. I saw him pitch a number of times. The bottom row features 2 Cabrera inserts, a Gold Phil Coke, a Tyler Collins rookie, a nice celebration shot of the Tigers winning the '12 ALDS, and a Scherzer '12 card.

Last photo of Tigers. A few Avisail Garcia rookies, a nice photo of V-Mart on the '14 Topps set, a Jose Iglesias Heritage rookie, 2 Buck Farmer rookies which I wish I would've had last year. He was signing autograhps at a table during the Spring Traning game I went to. I got a Yoenis Cespedes card showing him as a Tiger, a nice Refractor of Shane Greene, an Opening Day Paws card, a Dixon Machado Heritage, and an Archives Verlander from the awesome '91 Topps set. I think the Kaline is from an Archives set, and features a great photo. I love the Heritage All-Star of Cabrera, and the McCann 150th Anniversary parallel rounds out the bottom row.

On top of all of the great Tigers, I recieved some Rays as well. I got a number of nice Wade Boggs cards that I would've never dreamed of having in '98-'00, as I was 15 in 1998 and had little funds to buy cards. When I did, it was usually base Topps, Upper Deck, and Collector's Choice. The UD3, Topps Chrome, UD Encore, Chrome Highlights and Y3K cards are nice shiny cards that I am happy to add to my Rays binder.













Some of my favorites include an '07 Bowman Gold Reid Brignac, a WBC Jorge Cantu, Jeff Ridgeway rookie, a Die-Cut Upper Deck X Longo, a Stadium Club Longo, a Heritage David Price rookie, and a Sport Royalty UD Longo. The Mathook card is an Aspirations die-cut, and looks awesome. The '87 Shields mini is new, as are the Archives Longo and Prizm Price.

I have been trying to do a number of trades lately, and I should have 2 more trade posts coming up, and I also have plans to do a post about some cool parallel cards that I have pulled over the years, as well as a post showing off the 1985 Topps complete Team USA custom set that I finished recently.
Things might finally be getting back into a routine at my house, and that will hopefully mean doing more posts, finishing some checklists, and doing some customs.

Thank you so much, Dennis, for the nice cards! I hope you enjoyed the cards I sent you.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment