Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Custom 1985 Topps Team USA Set

Ever since seeing the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire Team USA Topps card in the mid-'90's, I have been fascinated with the 1985 Topps Team USA cards. I have managed to pull a few during the years from common boxes and various repacks, but I still don't think I have the regular set. A while ago, I made some Barry Larkin customs for a reader, and that included an '85 Topps Team USA Larkin card. I had already finished the 1985 Topps missing player checklist by that point, but didn't think it was possible to find pictures of the whole team, as I had done a google image search for a few key names from various USA teams and found next to nothing. A little while went by, and I decided to include the roster anyway, and I was able to find pictures that were close for enough of the roster, that I was able to get some customs of the team done. I also decided to add the coaches, and see what I could find. A few months ago, I couldn't find anything on most of the coaches, and a photo of 2 coaches with their respective school teams that they coached. I decided to do a search again this past month, and I was able to find a photo of all of the coaches in the Team USA uniforms, although they weren't identified. I did my best to find facial similarities to known photos, and I think I matched them correctly. If you see someone who is misidentified, let me know.  Without further ado, here are all of the missing 1985 Topps Team USA cards.





















Speaking of the 1985 Topps set, I am going to begin doing some customs from that set in order to help out the ARAIG Baseball guys with their simulation of the 1985 baseball season. I am also at work on the 2005 Topps missing player checklist, and am about 13 checklists away from having all of the missing Topps cards from 1951-2019 listed on my blog. With things in my household appearing to (maybe) getting back to normal probably by the end of next week, I may just be able to start picking up the pace on some of these projects. To the 3 people who follow all of these checklists I put up, I'm sure you are excited. *Insert laughs here*

I also should have another trade post ready to put up in a few days, one coming in the mail soon, and sometime in November, the 2019 Topps Update set will be coming in, giving me the entire 2019 Topps set and guaranteeing me that if a Trout or Kershaw-type player had a 2019 rookie card, that I can sit back, and in 10-15 years, I will have a nice rookie card on my hands. Cha-Ching!!  Probably not likely, but it will be nice to have 2019 team sets of each MLB team and be able to look back on them.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. Love the Caminiti! I might need to print out one of those for my PC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how good you are at colorization, but the only photos of Caminiti in a USA uniform I could find are black & white, and I used a website to colorize the photo. Don't think it turned out bad, but definitely not the best.

      Delete
  2. These came out great--I especially like the Larkin, of course--and I like that you the multiple notable players that didn't make it into the '85 Topps set.

    ReplyDelete