Tuesday, June 4, 2019

3 Replacement Padres

It's been kind of crazy with me lately. Seems like whenever I think I might have a chance to do customs or write a blog post, something happens, and I have to wait. I finally had a day off with nothing to do (other than attempt to build a flower box around a tree stump), so I decided to post some of my latest customs for the 1995 Topps Replacement Player set.
I thought I would do the Padres next, as Rod from Padrographs recently said that he couldn't wait to see them. Well, here they are.

 Jim Campanis, Jr. is the son of former MLB catcher Jim Campanis. Junior has Topps cards in the 1988 Topps Traded (Team USA), and 1992 Topps sets (Catcher Prospects), as well as a 1992 Donruss card.

Lee Henderson and Kevin Schula were minor leaguers, who just appeared on minor league issues.

That is all I have so far for the replacement project. I kind of let card organizing take priority right now. I finished my Detroit Tigers binders, and boy, do they look great. The Rays are up next, but I'm going to hold off for a week or so. Rod was nice enough to hold a contest on his blog, and I won a cool 2018 Topps Holiday mini card of current Ray Jose DeLeon #d to 25, plus Rod promised me some more Rays, so I think once I get those, I will start updating the Rays binders, and then what will probably be a highlight for me, the Favorite Player binders.

Custom-wise, I haven't worked on any checklists (just have the '64 and '51 sets left), but I did update the 2019 Topps page to include all of the 1st Round Draft Picks from last night, and I am also working on some templates for the 1976 Topps set. It is difficult with the different pictures for the different player positions, but I am slowly getting each one finished, and after that, it should be easy to make templates for different teams.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. I checked Baseball Reference Campanis doesn't show at all. Henderson and Schula don't show they played in the majors. Could you share any info you have with me. Would like to add them to my Padrographs. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all played in the minors leagues and never made it to the Major Leagues, but were replacement players in the Spring of 1995 before the strike got resolved, so they technically appeared at Padres in Spring Training games, but never in official games.

      Campanis was a Mariner on the cards I listed, I believe most of the Padres were minor league guys. I have listed them below, and noted the ones who appeared in the Majors, as well as any baseball cards they appeared on and what team.

      The list of Padre Replacement players are:
      The guys mentioned above,
      Matt Schwenke, Larry See (Target Dodgers), Dave Mowry, Steve Springer ('91 Topps Debut Indians), Matt Howard, Marvin Cole, Dave Tollison, Al Barsoom, Steve Bethea, Roberto Deleon, Tony Walker, Keith Thomas, Dan Boone (1991 Score Orioles, Rick Lysander ('84 & '85 Topps Twins), Eddie Dixon, Rob Mattson, Ryan Whitman (minor leaguer, but was on a 1993 Topps Marlins card), John Cotton, Eric Bullock ('92 Stadium Club Expos), Jay Andrews, Chris Prieto ('86 Topps Tigers)

      Delete