Tuesday, May 28, 2019

RIP, Billy B.

I read that Bill Buckner passed away 2 days ago, and I decided to do a post with all of the customs I have of him. Bill was a great hitter, who amassed over 2,700 hits. He also was a great fielder, who battled ankle problems towards the end of his career. If not for injuries, he could be a Hall of Fame candidate, and with the stupid 15-person panels voting anyone in, I really hope that they decide to give him a better look. Bill wasn't missing too many Topps cards during his career, just an '87 Topps Traded, '88 Topps Traded, '89 Topps, '89 Topps Traded, '90 Topps, and a '91 Topps sunset card. I finished his '89 Topps, and '91 Topps cards, leaving only the '87 Traded, '89 Traded, and '90 Topps cards missing.

1989 Topps custom

1991 Topps sunset card

Because of his photo in the play, I guess this would count as a Bill Buckner custom as well, although I choose to label it as a Mookie Wilson custom, and remember Bill as a great hitter, who was pretty solid with the glove as well, before the injuries to his knees. 

1987 Topps Mookie Wilson World Series Highlights
 

I have an index card that is technically signed by Mr. Buckner in one of my random binders, as well. I wrote to him requesting an autograph, and he sent a note back letting me know that he charged for his signature, but then he signed his initials, which is kind of funny. I think I might put it in my binder next to one of his Red Sox cards. 

It's sad that he died so young. Enjoy these ballplayers while they are still here. RIP, Mr. Buckner. You will always be a Hall of Famer and a World Series champ with me.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy


4 comments:

  1. Love that custom sunset card... and the free BB initials is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I created an updated version of the Buckner 1989 Topps Card: https://i.imgur.com/ini1iqi.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is awesome! Keep making them. I would love to see more cards you’ve done and use them to help mark some of these names off of my lists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buckner actually had a 1989 Topps card... well sort of. He is on one of the panels for the Wax Box Bottoms. Unfortunately, the back isn't stats like a standard card but those wax bottoms are a good way to get a Phillies Kent Tekulve, a KC Buckner, a Dodgers Don Sutton, and a Tigers Darrell Evans.

    ReplyDelete