Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Back from vacation

I haven't posted in a good while. Part of it is due to just life being busy, having a baby to take care of, and being on vacation the last week. The other part is just plain and simple that I have been playing WGT MLB baseball on my phone during my lunch break, which was one of the main times I would post.  With that being said, I did get a chance to make some customs and get them signed while I was on vacation.

The plan was to drive to Dallas, TX to see one of my sisters, spend 2 days there, drive to Houston to see an Astros game, and then drive to Corpus Christi to see my mom and stepdad for 4 days before making the 20 hour trip back to Florida. A few weeks before we left, I was working on some 1991 Topps missing Dodgers, and while searching for a Barry Lyons photo, I saw that he was doing a baseball camp in Biloxi, MS, where we had wanted to stop at on our trip. I thought it would be nice to give Barry some cards to hand out to the campers, so I got all of his cards from my binders, and made the rest of his career Topps run (1990 Traded, 1991, 1991 Traded, 1992, and 1996). I got to the camp, and Barry was giving introductions in the batting cage under the stadium (the first time I had ever been in a clubhouse of any kind). After he was done, I showed him the customs and he was gracious to sign a copy of each, and got a kick out of the White Sox card I had made since I wasn't able to find any photos of him as a White Sock. Here are the photos of the customs.

 We went to Dallas, had fun with my sister and saw her new baby girl, and then headed to Houston.  I almost caught a ball at batting practice, but lets just say that a greasy adult suckered his grade-school aged son to cry as I was on my hands and knees with the ball firmly planted in my glove and hands, so I let it go rather than keep the ball for my 7 month old son who was attending his first MLB game.  I would've really liked to get my son a ball at his first Big League game, but I guess there will be others and we still have the tickets. I also saw the Astros bat around against the Rangers in the 6th. Glad we didn't have to see a pitcher bat and break the inning up.
While in Corpus, my stepdad and I went looking for nearby card shops, and were only able to find an antique store that had a bunch of overpriced 50's and 60's cards mostly. I did find a poor Gary Carter rookie in a 75% off bin, so it was like 5 bucks and I got it.

We also saw a Corpus Christi Hooks game, and me and my stepdad got to go on the field in the middle of the 4th and toss fries into a bucket to try to win a prize. It was super windy, and I didn't get any in, and my stepdad got his 3rd to last fry in to take the win. All in all, it was a fun trip, and I was happy to get a few autographs and a Gary Carter rookie. Thanks for checking out my latest post.

No comments:

Post a Comment