Thursday, March 8, 2012

Favorite Player: David Pember

David Pember became part of my Favorite Player Collection almost by accident. I happened to see that he was signing autographs ttm, so I sent his 2003 Topps Traded and 2003 Topps Traded Gold cards that I had. He sent them back signed, along with a note that he was living in Birmingham, AL at the time (I lived about 2 hours away in Montgomery, AL), and to give him a call. I decided to first do a little research on his career so I would have a little to talk about before contacting him. It turned out that he was a Type 1 Diabetic just like I was. I decided to text him and see when a good time to call was. He gave me a time, and from there, we talked a few times, mostly about diabetes, and a little about his baseball career. I moved to Florida shortly after talking with him, and when I went back up to Montgomery to get the rest of my stuff, I had a plan to stop in Birmingham and have lunch with him, but it ultimately didn't work out because my dad didn't want to stop. I still haven't ate a meal with a big-leaguer, although I did go to Dave & Busters with Brody Koerner, who is in AA ball for the Yankees. I guess that counts if he makes it to the Majors. I also had breakfast with some of the men at my church while Wade Rowdon was there, although I technically didn't sit at the same table. Be that as it may, I can say that I had a ballplayer put my number in their phone, and although it has been close to 10 years since I first got his number, it could be the same.

DAVID PEMBER CARDS I HAVE:
2003 Bowman Chrome Refractor
2003 Bowman Chrome X-Fractor
2003 Fleer Patchworks
2003 Topps (ttm auto)
2003 Topps Gold (ttm auto)
2003 Topps Total Silver

No comments:

Post a Comment