Wednesday, March 10, 2021

25 years of Topps Chrome

25 years ago in 1996, I was 13, and in the 7th grade. I was home-schooled, didn't subscribe to Beckett or have access to a hobby store, so my best way to really find out about new card sets coming out on the market was to see them after buying packs at Wal-Mart, Kay-Bee Toy store, or some other retail outlet. I had purchased packs of 1996 Topps, Collector's Choice, Score, and Upper Deck, but other than that, my taste of hobby-only or more premium products were limited. I think Fleer had some packs at Wal-Mart, but they weren't my thing, as I usually stuck with Topps or Upper Deck. At some point in 1996, I purchased a Beckett, and learned about one of the newest products out there, a premium product called Topps Chrome, which utilized the Topps Finest Technology, and applied it to some of the cards in the 1996 Topps set. I was intrigued, but I wasn't able to get a pack since I don't believe I ever saw any at Wal-Mart, and at probably 3 bucks a pack for a 4-card pack, my Mom would've flipped. Plus, I would've rather spent the 1 to 1.50 to buy a s 15 card packs of Topps or Upper Deck. 

The pictures I saw of the set were enough to make me wonder what the cards looked like in hand. I never dreamed of owning a base card, let alone a Refractor. It wouldn't be until 6 years later at Christmas in 2002 when I would own any cards from the set, as either my parents or one of my sisters found a few 500 count boxes of cards at a garage sale which had some nice star cards, including some from the 1996 Topps Chrome set. It would be probably be 13 years until I owned a Refractor, probably from one of my first purchases from COMC. 

What I have found appaling is that neither in 2020 Topps Chrome or 2021 Topps Chrome is there a mention of the sets 25 year anniversary. They sure did put enough 1985 and 1986 Topps cards in the '20 and '21 sets, though with their 35 year anniversaries. But why not pay homage to the set which started it all in 1996? They did so in the 2011 set. If not for 1996 Topps Chrome, noboby today would be able to pull an autographed Mojo Super Wave SSSP Mega Fractor of the newest Yankees middle infield prospect who made their debut last year. It would be a nice tribute to the original set, plus I think people would enjoy seeing some of the new guys on an older design. At least if Topps can't bring back the '96 Chrome design, maybe bring back the '96 Topps Laser set for its anniversary.

When the '96 Topps Chrome set debuted in 1996, it was a lot different than it is now. While Topps picks and chooses the cards to get Chromed up now, the old set only had 165 cards out of the 440 cards in the main Topps set. The majority of the cards weren't really rookies, but a handful of rookies (Draft Picks, Future Stars, and Now Appearing Subsets) and star players. They didn't even give the Top Prospects subset the Chrome treatment. Can you imagine how much the Andruw Jones/Vlad Guerrero card would've went for? The only parallel was the (one) Refractor set. 2021 has (gulp) TWENTY. There were 2 insert sets. No autographs. No game-used cards. No box toppers or redemption cards. But although the set wasn't well recieved in 1996 according to BaseballCardPedia, it did well enough to stick around and become what it is today. 

I figured I would show off some of my favorite Topps Chrome cards to celebrate the 25 year anniversary of this iconic set. 

Starting off is a Manny Ramirez base card. Probably the first one I owned. It, as well as the other base cards shown here, came from one of those boxes I got for Christmas. 
Next are 2 Star Power subset cards, a Cal Ripken, Jr., and an Albert Belle. 
The next 2 are both of Kenny Lofton, one a base, and one a Refractor. I owned 3 versions of this card (base Topps, the Indians team set version, the Chrome version), so I figured I would get the Refractor to finish it off. 
The Brooks Kieschnick is a newer card. I hadn't seen a 1996 Chrome card of the Now Appearing subset, and since Brooks is a favorite player, I figured I would get a Refractor.
The Karim Garcia Future Star card has a fun story to it. In 2004, I believe, I had went to Winter Haven during Spring Training to try to get autographs from the Indians. Karim was with the team, and I had always liked him, so I really wanted to get his autograph. I brought the Topps Chrome card along, dreaming of how lucky I would be to get a high end Chrome card of one of my favorite players signed. Sometime during batting practice, Karim came near the RF stands and started signing. I was lucky enough to hand the card to Karim and have him sign it for me. I mentioned to him how he should have a fan club, and he said he would be down for it. The fan club never happened, but I like to consider my self the un-official president. 
The last card is a Refractor that I sent to another favorite player, Todd Greene. Todd sent it back signed, and it is the only 1996 Topps Chrome Refractor that I have autographed.
I hope you enjoyed my favorite '96 Topps Chrome cards. 

Just one more day of working, and then the ultrasound on Friday. The week has went by quicker than I thought, and I'm just trying to stay positive and think happy thoughts and picturing the good happening and how happy we are going to be when the doctor gives us good news. Thanks to everyone who has sent kind words via comments or e-mail. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

7 comments:

  1. Positive thoughts really help!

    I have my own chrome anniversary post in mind. Not sure when I'll do it. Chrome showed up when I was on my collecting break so I don't think I knew much about it until I returned to collecting a decade after Chrome began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe that Topps Chrome has been around for 25 years now... that makes me really old :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even realized this was the 25-year anniversary of Topps Chrome. Not the most exciting set out there, and I rarely buy packs of it anymore, but I'm glad it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I can remember about the newbie chrome cards was how much they tended to curve or bow. I hated that. I did love the finest cards though. I still don't like Chrome. Maybe if they used totally different photos. I always have a hundred "stacks" laying around and when there is a chrome in the mix, they tend to cause slippage, ugh. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang. 25 years? Time sure flies by. Hope you guys receive good news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good history for those of us who weren't collecting then. I couldn't have told you when Chrome started up. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete