Friday, September 9, 2022

2023 Topps Sell Sheets are live!

 Well, it looks like the 2023 Topps sell sheets are live. I don't know about you, but I don't know what to think. I'll just let the pictures do the talking and then give my thoughts.




All base cards are SPs?!  DraftKings promos?! Cards of breakers and flipper brahs?!  I don't know if I'm going to buy a pack. I was going to probably get a few packs and get the complete set at the end of the year, but if all of the freaking base cards are SPs, I don't even know if a complete boxes set will be in the game for Topps, or if anyone who really wants a complete base set will have to spend a few hundred on eBay to get one. I'm no math wizard, but if packs have 8 cards with the base cards only falling 1 in 75 or so packs, I figure I could put together a complete set from the parallel cards quicker than I could from pulling a base card from a pack. It wouldn't be the same color, but at least I could put together a 1-330 complete set. I guess at the very least I'll try to put together a mixed parallel set of the Rays and Tigers. The getting a pack thing might be out of the question for me and many people too, as I don't know where a freaking 'Lids Outlet' is, and I figure the flippers would buy out the supply at my Local Card shop before I get a chance to head by after work whenever the cards come out. It might drive down insert prices if they are being pulled 8 of 8 cards in 74 of 75 packs. I just don't get the inserts. I liked some of the first pitch cards they had in the 2015-2017 sets, but I'm just not a celebrity fanboy, so the Fanatics Fans cards really aren't for me. I have nothing but disgust for flippers, and breakers are helping the products not stay on shelves for me to find and are probably driving up prices, so I don't care for them either and don't feel like they deserve an insert devoted to them. I don't gamble, and feel that can be a slippery slope for many people, so I think that's my least favorite insert of all. The '52/'87 insert doesn't really appeal to me as I feel like both of those are overdone and I don't see the point of combining the two sets. With that being said, it is probably the insert that I would actually put in my binders and not just throw in my Allen & Ginter oddball box. The parallels might actually be the most interesting things out there. I would love to pull a Draft Pick card (the most likely chance of that happening would be if I pulled a parallel insert), but I just don't want to bust pack after pack of nothing I want in order to get one. With the looks of the names on the partial checklist, I might just try to buy a 3-5 Tigers and Rays partial parallel team set and call it a day. Maybe we'll just have to wait for a kid-themed set like Opening Day or something later in the 2023 card season if we want to see the roster of our favorite teams if we aren't Yankees/Padres/Dodgers fans. I'm really worried and I hope that this isn't the way cards are going to go, because I really don't know if I want to participate in collecting cards if I can't build a nice team set of my favorite team and easily buy a complete set. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy 

8 comments:

  1. From everything I've seen on Twitter, this sounds exactly like the sort of stuff that most people were expecting once Fanatics took over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too early for these scary Halloween stories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept waiting for ‘April Fools!’ or that it was National Prank Day, or something.

    I was really hoping Fanatics would let Flagship be traditional Flagship and save the Dumpster Fire/Social Media/Lottery/Panini/Overpriced for other sets. Breaker & Flipper “relics”? Oof…,

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is either a joe or a bad dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was concerned until I saw the Bruh in the ad sheet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete