Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The final Pole custom

When I first started this blog, I decided to make all of Dick Pole's cards. I knew little about the guy, just that he had a funny name and I wanted to attract traffic to my blog and figured that Pole would do the trick. It didn't really work, but I did learn a lot about Mr. Pole and how he became a sucessful coach with the Chicago Cubs and how he turned Greg Maddux into an elite pitcher with his coaching.
Well, I had thought I finished all of Dick's cards, but when I came to the 2004 Topps checklist, I realized that he was a coach in the 2003 All-Star game, and he never got a card. I corrected that and placed his name in the checklist, and I took about an hour and made the card.
I used about 5 different All-Star cards to get the magazine in the background right. I mainly used Carlos Delgado's card, and then others to get all of the letters in Sporting News and the players in the background. A classy card to cap off Dick's career Topps run.

I was supposed to be getting a package of cards from COMC today, but I don't know where the heck it is. The USPS website said it is in Atlanta after 3-4 days of being in Texas, then later today it won't connect to the site because it can't connect to a server. COMC's site said it left a shipping center in Orlando at like 12 AM today. Last time I checked, it said the delivery date was unknown. Before that, it was today. I'll give the post office a break since it is busy this time of year.
I stopped at the post office today to mail out some card packages. John from Johnny's Trading Spot, Lee from Dodger Cardboard, and Chris from FanofReds should be getting cards from me soon. Also, Mr. Haverkamp, I have a stack of cards set aside for you and I need your address. Collecting Cutch had also commented on wanting to trade, and I have looked for some Pirates/PC guys, and have a stack ready to ship out, so if you want to e-mail me where to send it, I will get those ones out soon. It may be another batch of 3 packages, becuase I need to look for some Black Gold cards for Gavin from Baseball Card Breakdown, and I will probably have a chance to do that in the next 24-36 hours.

The 2018 Topps Missing Player checklist is up (including the Traded set too), and the last main set, 2019, is sitting on the Phillies, with the Pirates on deck and the Cardinals in the hole. I should knock that out in the next 2 days as well. Might do a post on that one.

A quick thing before I go, I think this music thing may get it's first shot tomorrow night. Joe, our band leader at church is going to come over tomorrow night and look over some songs I wrote. I have 5 or 10 songs that might have potential to be recorded, and I want to get them perfect before I show them to him. They are all typed out with the chords and lyrics. I may reprint 1 or 2 in different keys and 1 had an alternate chord structure in the verse, so I might reprint that one as well. I have them organized in (I hope) the order of the best ones first. I really hope this works and I can make decent recordings of the songs. I might record what we do tomorrow. I just really hope this gets the ball rolling and that Joe gets as passionate about these songs as I am. He is a great guitarist and can sing pretty well, and if I can get him to play some lead guitar parts, sing, and perhaps drums on recordings, that is a good start to play in the DeLand original music festival next April. All you need is a CD, and I'm assuming an entry fee. By then, I think I will have found a drummer, and Bill, the electric guitarist at church, would be happy to come along and play either bass or electric if we played live. I might sing one or two songs, but my main thing will be doing my thing on the piano/keyboards. I play so much better when I don't sing, and I have specific piano parts I have written in each song that I want to be heard, so if I can just get a vocalist, I think we might just be able to make a CD at least.
I need to be to work in 6 hours, so I am signing off. Tomorrow is going to be a fun day.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. DICK POLE! Had no idea he was once a Cubs coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. He coached them from 1988 through 1991, and again from 2003 through 2006. He also coached the Giants, Indians, Red Sox, Angels, Expos, and Reds in between the Cubs stints and through the 2009 season.
      I'll have to send you some of his custom Cubs coach cards that I made sometime.

      Delete