Wednesday, November 13, 2019

World Series customs

I just wanted to say thanks to anyone who commented on my last post and thanks to everyone who wanted to start a trade. I tend to overthink things, and I think that's what I sometimes do with cards too.

Today, I am posting all of the World Series Highlights cards that I have. Someone over on the FB Custom Card group wanted to know if anyone had made any.  I will start with the oldest ones I have.








I like to get action shots from the actual game for the cards, and some of these have bad images or just not any at all, so I had to settle for a pose. But, it is what it is, and there is my 1982 World Series highlight set from 1983 Topps.




Sometimes, you just get a boring game with not many highlights, as in Game 2 of the 1983 World Series, so for those, I just don't make a card. I was born in 1983, so I don't know what happened in that game. Heck, I can't remember what happened in Game 2 of this years' World Series. I did, however, make 3 cards for Game 5, as Murray, Dempsey, and McGregor all had noteworthy performances in the game. 

This is the only one I have for the 1985 World Series so far. For all of the ALCS/NLCS/World Series game from the 1979-1996 Topps sets, I have checklists for each card needing to be made on the corresponding set page, so you can see which ones need to be done and which ones I have done (as they are crossed out). 






The 1986 World Series set on the 1987 Topps set is complete, with the Mookie Wilson cards being one of the first customs I have ever posted. 



In the 1989 Topps set, I made 1988 World Series Highlights cards, but I can't for the life of me find a few of the individual cards. I know I made them, as I printed out a set for Night Owl. I did, however, save the sheets of 6 cards that I printed out, so along with the World Series set, you get the NLCS set as well, including the backs. 




 I believe Richard B. made a few of these, but here are the 3 cards I have for the 1989 World Series. Still have a few more to go to finish this set.










I know Bob J. made a way better set in the same design, but here is my 1990 World Series set. 













The 1991 World Series appears on 1992 Topps, the first set I ever attempted at completing every missing player on. I was naive enough to make backs for thes whole 700+ card additional set. Never again.




The 1992 Series was the first one I remember watching. I was a Braves fan, and as a 9-year old, I really wanted them to win. I remember watching the final game, and I fell asleep when it went to extra innings, and I think I woke up to see Winfield hit the double to basically win it. At least I would see the Braves win in 1995. 






I was rooting for the Phillies in 1993, and they let me down as well. It was a good series, though.







This was the Braves title I had been waiting for.  I had misbehaved or something during the morning of whenever Game 6 was on, so I got punished and wasn't aloud to watch it. My mom, knowing how much the game meant to me, woke me up before the 9th inning, and let me watch, and I saw Marquis Grissom catch a fly ball for out #3. 

 The 1996 Series doesn't matter, since the Yankees won it, so I haven't got around to making any for that set, and that brings us to the 1998 Topps set (1997 World Series), which Topps actually made. They made them for every season since (save for the 2001 World Series on the 2002 set, the 2009 World Series on the 2010 set, and the 2010 Series on the 2011 set), and I am also going to make a set of the 2006 World Series on the 2007 design, since Topps decided to go all non-yearbook style and add it to the '06 Update Series.

I hope you have enjoyed this post on all of the World Series customs I have.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy









2 comments:

  1. Good stuff.
    Just a heads-up, some of the '93 WS cards mistakenly say 1994.

    ReplyDelete