Sunday, November 3, 2019

2014 Topps Jim Leyland sunset card

It's been a while since I've shared any new customs, so I thought I would share my latest one.

Jim Leyland was a terrific manager, earning 1,769 Wins in 22 seasons, winning 3 pennants, and 1 World Series title. I feel like he should've beat the Cardinals in '06 and the Giants in '12, but what do I know? Topps stopped featuring managers in their base sets after 2009, so he wasn't able to get his sunset card in the '14 set. I corrected the mistake, and gave him the hero card number of 700. 
I think he has a chance at the Hall of Fame based on his championship with the Marlins, solid work with the Tigers, his 2017 WBC title, and for turning the Pirates into contenders in the early '90's. He really got screwed over by Bonds' throw in the 1992 NLCS, and by the long layoff between the '06 ALCS and World Series, and I hope voters consider that. With some of these managers like Lou Piniella and Bobby Cox coming up on the ballot who only won 1 World Series Title, but had many division winners, I think Leyland might have a chance to get in. We know Cox will get elected, and Piniella definitely has a shot, and then you will have someone to compare Leyland to and make voters see that he is up their with them.

I finished the 2012 Topps missing player checklist tonight, and started working on some 'blank' templates for the 2013 and 2014 sets. Here is one for 2013.
I just basically have to change the color of the sea turtle, and cut and paste the team logo to make it work for every team. I hope that when I finish all of the missing player checklists that I can also provide some templates for most of the sets. I know I have all of them done for every team in the 1986-2001 sets, and I have blank templates for the 1976, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2013, and 2014 sets. Another few can hopefully be covered with some templates I made that just need some color adjustments, a few like 1952, 1968, 1983, and 1984 are already done, 1957 is just a white border with writing, so that's covered, 1962 is just a wood border and writing, so it's covered, and another are covered by the Topps custom card maker on their website (2016, 2017, and 2018). That leaves not as many sets as you think left to make templates for. I may try to work on this for a little while once the checklists are complete. Check back if you are a custom card maker and you could use some basic 2.5 by 3.5 inch .png template files.
I think I will also try to list all of the sunset cards I have come across that will be custom cards. A few years I haven't listed them on the checklist, but I think I can go on bbref and look at the page of each year and the players who played their final season, and just match them up with my checklists. If they don't appear on it, they have a Topps sunset card. If they do appear on my checklist, then that means they need a custom sunset card for that year. I think it will be really cool to make my 'Sunset Card' page and it will allow you to look and see who got a sunset card in which Topps set, and also see the hoards of players that missed out and need a custom one. Plus, it will give me a ton of cards to work on.

It's going to be a fun end of the year and a fun 2020 here at Topps Cards that Never Were. Thanks for coming along for the ride and for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. Cox was elected to the hall in 2014 along with LaRussa and Torre. BTW, I am working on 86 and 87 traded missing player checklists. I will send once they are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. I can never remember some of these newer guys who have been elected.

      Can't wait to see the new checklists. I appreciate them.

      Delete