Sunday, February 18, 2018

Tony Saunders Missing Topps Cards

Tony Saunders is in my Favorite Player Collection. I saw him pitch on TV a few times when he was with the Florida Marlins, and didn't really like him since he beat the Atlanta Braves in the '97 Playoffs. The Braves were probably my favorite team besides the Detroit Tigers up to that point. Saunders was the drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the '97 Expansion Draft after winning a World Series with the Marlins, and then I started pulling for him. I saw Tony pitch a masterful game at the Trop on April 22, 1999, as he held the Baltimore Orioles hitless through 6 innings. Mike Bordick singled to lead off the 7th, ruining my chance at seeing a no-hitter live. I hope it will happen during my life. Saunders broke his arm later that season, and again while in rehab in 2000, and never did make it back to the Majors after 1999.

Tony got his first Topps card in the 1998 Topps set, and got a 1999 Topps card. He is missing cards from the 2000 Topps set. I also created a card for Tony in the 1998 Topps set picturing him with the Marlins.  Here is Tony's career Topps run including my customs.

1998 Topps custom

1998 Topps
1998 Topps #497 Tony Saunders Front

1999 Topps
1999 Topps #373 Tony Saunders Front

2000 Topps custom

That completes Tony Saunders' career Topps run. I'm hoping to work on some customs when I'm off on Tuesday. Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy


No comments:

Post a Comment