Sunday, August 27, 2017

1994 Topps Traded Update Series #TU8 Chris Brown


Chris Brown played in the Majors from 1984-1989. He played with the San Francisco Giants from 1984 through mid-season 1987, and then was traded to the San Diego Padres in the Kevin Mitchell trade. He played with the Padres until the end of the '88 season, and finished his career with the Detroit Tigers in 1989. After his retirement, he signed as a replacement player for the Tigers during 1995 Spring Training while the '94-'95 strike was going on. He worked in Iraq after his baseball career, and passed away from injuries due to a house fire in 2006.

Chris's first Topps card came in the '85 Traded set. He got into the '86-'89 Topps sets, and missed out on a 1990 Topps card, as well as a card in my fantasy 1994 Topps Traded Update set to highlight his time as a replacement player. For those of you who don't know, the '94 Traded Update Series has the '94 Topps design, and is made as if it came out in 1995 and featured replacement players in anticipation of MLB playing the '95 season with them. I finished Brown's 1990 Topps card, so along with the '94 Traded Update card, Chris's career Topps run is finished. Here is the 1990 Topps Brown card.

I have been working on checklists and templates a bunch lately. I have all of the NL cards (besides highlight ones) done in the 1983 Topps set, and they are all posted on the FB Custom Card Page. I have done a few team checklists in the '98 Topps checklist, I have done a few templates/team checklists (with the help of Paul B.) on the '88 Topps set (I will post the page link soon), and I saved the best for last. I know everyone and their mom it seems loves the 1987 Topps set. Everyone remembers collecting it and it is famous for the wood grained borders. I worked on creating templates for the whole set, and posted the checklists for all of the coaches of the NL teams. Here is the link to the templates/checklist page. The templates are in .png form. The only thing I ask is if you are wanting to make cards off of the checklist for the set is that you use the templates I made and NOT the ones you can make from the Topps website. I made the templates from the actual '87 Topps cards, so the logos are exactly like the ones in the set, and the colors are the same as well. If you need the templates in .jpg forms or anything that can be created by using MS Paint and GIMP, I can e-mail them to you. I just hate how the custom Topps '87 cards made from their website look for some of the teams. I have coach templates made for them, and also have a file with a 'Future Stars' logo that can be cut and pasted onto templates as needed. I will keep adding cards to the checklist, so check back soon. 
Thanks for checking out my latest customs.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Didn't know he passed away. He was part of the amazing Giants infield in the mid 80's that featured Clark, Thompson, and Uribe. Brown was the man at third... until eventually Williams took his spot. I still have a Giants program from 1986 that features him with Uribe and Thompson. I always thought it was cool, because Brown is standing (or maybe holding) a Powell Peralta skateboard. Lol. Sorry... about me rambling. I just love thinking back about my childhood and going to Candlestick to watch the Giants was a lot of fun (even if I was a huge A's fan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the card brought back some good memories Fuji.

    ReplyDelete