Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Coaches Center Part 9: 1999 Topps #496 Frank Howard Coach

Frank Howard is a longtime player/coach/manager.  His career began in 1958 with the Dodgers. He stayed with them until 1965 when he was traded to the Washington Senators. He stayed with the franchise (which became the Tecas Rangers in 1972) until the middle of the aforementioned '72 season, when his contract was sold to the Detroit Tigers. He played the '73 season with Detroit before trying to keep playing by going to Japan in 1974. In his first At-Bat for the Taiheiyo Lions, he swung fiercely, and was injured, ending his playing career.
His coaching career started in 1977 with the Milwaukee Brewers. He stayed with the through the 1980 season. He managed the San Diego Padres for the 1982 season, and then became a coach for the New York Mets from 1982-1984. He also was the clubs manager for part of the '83 season. It was back to the Brew Crew for 1985 and 1986, then he went to Seattle in 1987 and 1988. He coached the Yankees in '89, skipped the 1990 season, before coming back to them for '91 and '92. He didn't coach in 1993, then came back to the Mets from 1994-1996. His final coaching stint came in 1998 and 1999 with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

'Hondo' appeared on many cards as a player, and even a few as a manager. Topps hasn't made coach cards since the mid '70's, so Frank is missing many cards as a coach. I will start with the '89 set since that's the set that my blog is starting with (the first set I remember getting packs of from my parents/grandparents as a kid). Howard is missing cards from the '89-'90 sets, the 1992 and 1993 sets, the '95-'97 sets, and the '99-'00 sets as a coach. This '99 custom crosses that one off of the list, and I made this '92 Topps card for my other blog.

I might try to work on some customs late tonight. I have a first time fathers class from 6-9, so maybe after I get back from that. Tomorrow I'll be stuck at the doctors for a while, so I might try to work on finilizing some rosters for the '01 set. This could be the last chance I have to work on customs the next week or five. It looks like we should close on the house next week, so that means all the craziness of packing/unpacking/painting should start, and between that, softball season, work, random doctor appointments, and preparing for the baby, I think I'll be just begging for time to sleep. If I can just get through the end of the year, I think I'll be fine. I'm sure someone can relate. Thanks for checking out the latest card in my custom set. 
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment