Thursday, February 5, 2015

1999 Topps Dennis Martinez




Until I made this card, I never realized that El Presidente played for so long. I assumed he came up in either 1980 or 1979, but he debuted in 1976, and played until 1998. I remember him pitching with the Cleveland Indians, and it was either 1995 or 1996 he went like 8-0 to start the season and looked like he wouldn't lose a game that year.

I had a chance to meet him when he was coaching for the Palm Beach Cardinals of the Florida State League. It was 2009 or so, and I was trying to get every card in the 1992 Topps set autographed. I brought Denny's 2 cards with me, and he signed them after the game. I have since stopped collecting autographs, but I will always remember when I got to meet El Presidente.

Denny's last Topps card came in the 1997 set, and he missed out on getting cards in the 1998 and 1999 sets. Here is his sunset card.

No comments:

Post a Comment