Sunday, March 3, 2024

Some surprise 2024s

 I’ve probably mentioned that my Mother-in-Law isn’t my favorite person. Her personality just drains me and it’s probably going to get worse as it looks like she might be moving into our guest room in May. I’m dreading it, but hopefully it will be for less than 6 months and put everyone in a better situation financially. Pray for me, people. 

She does have things that make her a good person, a better person tban myself, if I am honest. She always wants to give and do things for other people. I know where Karen gets it from. 

About 2 weeks ago, Karen started getting sick. She has been getting iv infusions of immunoglobulin every week for  the past 3-4 years, and it has helped keep her from getting the horrible colds she normally would get. Unfortunately, 4 weeks ago, the insurance decided they can’t cover it anymore, and with it being between 10-15 thousand bucks a dose, we sure as hell can’t afford it. We’re trying to call the insurance company and file appeals, but the past 4 weeks she hasn’t got the infusions and got a bad cold 2 weeks ago. Pneumonia on both lungs, infections in both ears, lots of trouble breathing, and tons of coughing. That means I’m kind of doing everything at home and trying to get her to sit and rest, which is like teaching a dog how to floss. Fortunately, Karens mom has tried to step up and help with things. Sometimes it can be a little much, but many times it’s a help. 

Before Karen got sick, we committed to having Kyler go to a friends birthday party. Karen usually will come have lunch with me at work on Saturdays and she was planning on getting the gift for the party, but ended up staying home this Saturday. Her mom ended up taking Kyler to Target to pick out a gift, and while they were there, they got me 2 hanging packs of 2024 Topps. I honestly hadn’t planned on getting any, so it was a nice surprise. 
I only took pictures of the good cards. 2 guys I collect who are Rangers, Jacob deGrom and Max Scherzer. The Rays were coming in bunches in the 2 packs, and I pulled 3 former Rays who I wish they would’ve kept in Bethancourt, Glasnow, and Raley, 1 current Ray in Civale, and a team card which is a dupe. I also did well with Tigers and pulled Jake Rogers, a Spencer Torkelson that was a double, and a base version of Brendan White after pulling his Holiday version a few weeks ago. 
I’ve heard of some of the rookies, but looking from the stats on the back of most of them, I think they were some solid ones. I also pulled a Blue Holofoil of Michael Massey. With packs that I wasn’t expecting, I would’ve been happy with a few base cards that weren’t doubles, but getting 5 Rays, 3 Tigers, 2 guys I collect, a number of nice rookies, and a parallel numbered to 999, I must have the cardboard gods smiling on me. I guess I’ll keep the Mother-in-Law for a while. 

I might try to upload some cards tomorrow. I’m not really planning on getting too much done card-wise this week. Just too much to do around the house and pesky things like a haircut appointment on Tuesday, band practice on Wednesday, and Karens brother coming up on Friday, so I can tell you already my free time will be at a minimum this week. I did get the Angels done last week, and my Trout count wasn’t nearly as high as I thought it would be (around 100). I did find out that I had a 2012 Heritage card of him that is a nice valuable card, so that was fun. The Twins are up next, and I can smell the finish line as I only have 6 teams and a few random binders left to upload to TCDB. Perhaps by mid summer I’ll have it all in the system and I’ll be available to work on uploading others collections to the site. John gets first dibs. 

I guess I’ll consider myself lucky if I can keep up the pace of uploading cards in spite of all of the craziness going on in my life right now. And maybe I’m lucky to have a Mother-in-Law who in spite of being a little needy, is nice enough to get me some random u expected packs of cards. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremj 

3 comments:

  1. Prayers to you and the Mrs. and the entire family. Here's hoping that everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and good luck wishes to you and your family

    ReplyDelete