Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The 1995 Topps set is finished.

 This morning, I finished the last card for the 1995 Topps set. The set is one of my favorites. I just love the kind of ‘ripped’ look along the right and bottom borders that are the team color, the team name and position at the bottom, and while some people don’t like the font choice and the fact that the gold foil name against some of the bottom of the photos makes the name hard to read, but I think that was a small price to pay to get the first Topps set ever with gold foil on it (besides the Topps Gold inserts). On top of that, the set had the League Leaders inserts, which looked kind of trippy on ones that had a little background behind the player, and the Cyberstats/Spectra Light cards that finished the abandoned 1994 season. My 11-year old self couldn’t get enough of these cards. I remember my Grandma DeJong getting me a pack from a Walgreens where I pulled a Travis Fryman and a Joey Hamilton Cyberstats card among others. I still have them. She also got me a pack at a Wal-Mart where I pulled a Harold Baines Cyberstats card. While opening the pack on the way home, she asked me why I needed more cards every year. I explained to her that the stats on the back were updated every year. With the flipper brah’s not paying attention to backs (or fronts really for that matter), it’s a wonder why they are buying packs each year. 
Anyways, the 1995 set is finished. Well, sort of. You see I included replacement players in the regular set. Most of them are going to require photoshopping and a lot of effort to even find photos of them at all. While that portion of the checklist will remain posted on the page, don’t expect very many to get done. There are other sets I’m just more interested in finishing, like the 1995 Topps Traded set for one. After that, I want to go 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 1990, 2001, then I plan to go back to 1985, and work my way back up with 1986, 1987, 1988, and the pain in the butt (because of the curved nameplate) 1989 set. That will give me a run of completed Topps sets from 1983-2001. Currently, I have a 1991-1995 run (just missing the ‘95 Traded set), along with 1952, 1983, 1984, and the 1998 set. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. 
Back to the 1995 set, the page is going to look like a mess as I will have the replacement player checklist, traded checklist, complete regular set pictures, pictures of whatever replacement players I have done, and I’ll put the Traded pictures up as I finish each team. It is a lot on there, but scroll long enough, and you’ll find what you are looking for. Here is the link to set set page, where you can view the completed set, and here are some of my favorites from the set. 
The ‘94 Expos will always be considered the ‘94 champs. 
Manny is a great guy and I hope he stays in baseball forever. 
An In Memoriam Jimmie Reese
CJ didn’t get his first Topps card until like 1998. He could’ve showed up in the ‘95 set in the Future Star subset. 
A nice photo of Trenidad Hubbard. 
We never had highlights in the ‘95 set. This is what they could’ve looked like. 
A cool photo of Jesus Tavarez
Tom Brady was drafted by the Expos in 1994. 
Couldn’t find a photo of Russ Morman in a Marlins uni, but in a 1998 issue of Sports Illustrated, they did have this photo. 
A Vada Pinson sunset card
Can you imagine how hot a 1995 Topps Jaret Wright rookie would’ve been in 1997?
I always wished Terry Collins would’ve managed when Topps made manager cards. He missed out by a few years. 
And we finish it out with a cool Andy Allanson photo. 

In other news, I made it to the post office on Monday and sent out 2 packages and 1 pwe. Nothing earth shattering, especially compared to a few years ago, but I’m still doing my part in helping spread cards into others collections that I have that they might need. If I could just find some Yankee fans to dump cards on (I mean trade with). 
I also sent some custom 1983 Detroit Tigers to Charles of Brainiac Baseball, which he is attempting to sell on his FB Marketplace page. The cards are orange parallels of players on his Tigers team that he is using in a 1983 MLB season simulation. We both hope the cards draw in people to his site, as well as serve as something to sell in a ‘gift shop’ after people view his simulation videos. Time will tell. 
I hope you enjoyed the finished 1995 Topps set. I look forward to getting the Traded set done in a few weeks. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post.  
-Jeremy


2 comments: