Thursday, October 1, 2020

Cards from the legendary Owl, pineapple update, and next week's plans.

Well, I had 3 days off, which were a blur, and now I'm finishing up day 2 of a 6 day run of work. This could be a brutal one because I may be forced to only have next Tuesday off and start another run of working until who knows when. 
The 3 days off were good, though. Sunday we got up pretty late, watched our church service on YouTube, and left for Gainesville for my wife's pre-op stuff. We had dinner at Outback, and got to watch a little NFL and see how the MLB postseason would turn out. 
Monday we got up at a decent time, went in to the hospital for a few scans/doctor consultations, and ate lunch at Harry's Seafood, which if you are ever in the Gainesville/Ocala/Talahassee/St. Augustine/Lakeland area and like New Orleans-style food, you should definitely check them out. We always get the red beans and rice. After driving home, I got a pwe in the mail from the legendary Owl himself, Mr. Night Owl from Night Owl Cards. I quickly opened them up, and was able to log them into my Rays page after mowing the lawn the next morning. 
What did he send, you say? Oh, just some Rays to help me get closer to some Topps team set completions and some freebies from other sets. I believe that gets me 2 cards away from the '13 Topps Rays set and just a Chris Archer Update All-Star card away from the '17 set. The McKay mini is probably the closest I'll get to any Allen & Ginter cards as my local stores don't have any, and the Stadium Club Lowe gets me a little closer to that Rays set, which I have been able to find at stores and already have the Charlie Morton from. 
Thanks, Greg, for the cards.

A few months ago, I posted about my pineapple plant that produced some fruit. I was waiting for what seemed like forever for a few pineapple suckers to come from the plant I got the fruit from, and I finally did. The little set of leaves in the dead center of the picture is a new baby pineapple plant that should start growing. One it gets about 20 cm long, I should be able to pull it off and plant it. I'm hoping to get a few more from the plant before it dies off. 
So while I was in Gainesville, I ended up getting the 2020 Topps Sticker Collection book from Target along with a few packs of stickers. My son enjoyed opening the packs and placing the stickers, and it got me wanting to find a cheap box of cards for him to open. I did some searching, and was hoping to find something under 20 bucks that I didn't have too many cards of. In the end, I wound up getting a box of 1994 Stadium Club Series 1, and one of Series 2. Now that I think about it, I don't know if it was a good set, since the cards will probably stick together, but it should be a fun break with the Golden Rainbow parallels, hopefully 2 1st Day Issue cards, and maybe a Bowman Preview and Super Teams insert. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a Tigers set out of the deal (minus Series 3). I'll keep you posted on the box, and probably have some pictures of the carnage towards the end of the week (it should arrive by Thursday). 
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

5 comments:

  1. You're welcome!

    Yup, days off go way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff (both card-wise and pineapple-wise)! More importantly, best wishes for your wife's upcoming hospital visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 2nd BB comment. If you find yourself with time on your hands while in G'ville, locate 1 of the 2 Meely Pops card shops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man... I miss me some Outback Steakhouse. Sadly all of the ones in my area have shut their doors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete