Thursday, May 13, 2021

1985 Topps missing Detroit Tigers

 It has been far too long since I've posted customs on my blog, especially since the main focus on the blog when I started was customs. It's not a bad thing, I guess it just means I've been getting alot of new cards, and I think when I started the project of putting my new cards in binders that it kind of shifted my focus for a while. 
In my last post, I mentioned how I was eventually wanting to finish the '69 and '85 Topps Detroit Tigers sets to honor the '68 and '84 championship teams. I decided to look on my '85 Topps Reference page and see how close the Tigers were to having their missing cards done. It turns out it was only 10 or so cards short, so I went ahead and finished up the missing ones. Here they are, with credit given to the ones I didn't do. 


Dwight Lowry by Paul B.




Glenn Abbott by Lynn P.




Roger Craig Coach by Richard B.







Alan Trammell World Series Highlights by Bob J.

Kirk Gibson World Series Highlights by Bob J.

Tigers Celebrate World Series Highlights by Bob J.

Jack Morris World Series Highlights by Bob J.

Marty Castillo World Series Highlights by Bob J.

I think my next project might be to work on the missing guys from the '69 set. I know I've done the coaching staff. 
I had kind of casually mentioned to John at the show that if he had any Tigers out of that mostly vintage box that I'd be happy to trade for them. After he took it home and realized that they were dupes and that I was trying to get the '69 Tigers set, he commented on the last post that they were about to be mailed out. I'm greatful for great bloggers like John who see someone mention that they need a card or cards, and hop to it and just mail them out, no questions asked. Night Owl also did the same thing, saying that he could help me out with the pre-'79 stuff I was lacking with the Tigers. It's stuff like that which makes me thankful for the great bloggers/readers out there and makes me want to pull some great stuff from packs/shows/shops that I can help out other bloggers with. 
I don't know if it's as bad as I think it is, but my brother-in-law sent me a pic today of a Target that had a sign in the card aisle that basically said that as of May 14, trading cards weren't being sold in stores until further notice. I have a feeling it's because of those a-holes that ended up getting into a fight in a parking lot with a gun being drawn over trading cards. It's a shame, and I hope it's not true, because that means the only way I'm going to see any new product is if I get lucky and get something at market value on eBay or if I get it directly from Topps' website (I can just pick 1-2 packs of Series 2, Opeining Day, Stadium Club, Big League, Chrome, & Bowman and they are still regular price with no shipping charges, right?). Might have to hit up my LCS for .50 cent cards and hope they don't over charge me and just be content with waiting a few months and finding the complete set/Update set online. I was really hoping to pull some of those Black Gold inserts out of Update. Maybe by the time Update is out the unemployment will stop, flippers will have to get real jobs, and Target will sell cards and they will all be on the shelves for everyone. Us bloggers will have to band together.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
I promise real cards next time.
-Jeremy


8 comments:

  1. The triumphant return on customs! Liking the Tigers team card and the Tigers celebrate card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the '84 team so I'm definitely liking these. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, you get those Tigers in the next day or two. Nothing beats hand picking cards, but Cardbarrel and SportLots is where to go for your base card needs (SportLots is the lowest cost).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've debated on trying them out, just haven't bit the bullet yet.

      Delete
  4. Never doubt that customs are "real" cards. As a custom maker myself, I appreciate the fact that custom cards take a ton more time than just scanning a "real" card.

    That being said, I absolutely hate the 1985 design in the landscape format. I am so glad the 80s was portrait dominated for all three companies. The coach cards are absolutely brilliant though. THAT is what we need from a company like Panini. Instead of them filling Donruss sets with "legends" like Troy Glaus and Lance Berkman, maybe they could have a coaches subset to get some of those former major leaguers into a modern set and not have it be weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have always been wanting Topps to include coaches, and figured that Donruss could get an edge if MLB would let them include logos due to their better overall technology with the parallels.
      I think they could have a shot at getting an upper hand by being allowed to do the legends in regular sets as well as doing the coaches and managers.
      I wish Topps would be forced to not only keep the legends only in the Archives set, but would have to make it into what it was from '03-'05 where the players were featured in designs of their playing era, the fonts and everything were true to the old sets, and they still had the fan-favorite type of guys and the autographs.
      Donruss never really got the whole 'retired guys' set right if I remember correctly, even when they did have a lisence. They had that 1 and done Originals set, threw the retired guys in Diamond Kings, and had that Cooperstown set as of lately, but I think they could almost do a current-Topps Archives kind of set where it was 100% retired guys in a true-to-the-original old Donruss set. I'm too much of a Topps snob to like the current state of Archives, but I wouldn't have a problem if Donruss tried it with their sets (and got logos). Competition only makes the card designs/technology better.

      Delete
  5. The 85 set should be just about done for all teams now. It's great you are getting back into customs.

    ReplyDelete