Saturday, December 12, 2020

Cards from Angels in Order and finishing the 1992 Topps Traded set

A few days ago, I got some cards in the mail from Tom of  Angels in Order fame.  I sent him some cards around the same time after he initiated the swap.  


Now that I have complete my Topps Rays run, I think I’ll be getting more Upper Deck and parallel Topps flagship/Heritage/non flagship Topps brands in trades, and I’m cool with that.  It would be cool to nail down all of the Upper Deck sets (‘98-‘10) as well. 

Tom helped with the Upper Deck sets as his envelope contained cards from 4 different UD base sets as well as some sets like UD Choice and MVP.  All of these cards are needs and will headed into my Rays binders sometime in March when I get my cards from COMC.  Thanks Tom for the great cards!

 Today I finally finished the 1992 Topps Traded set, making a dream a reality. 5-6 years ago, I came across some custom cards on a blog, and I was fascinated with the idea of creating cards that Topps missed out on. I was a huge fan of the 1992 Topps set, as it was the first set I remember purchasing with my own money. At one point, I had tried to get the entire 792 card set autographed, getting over 500 done. I questioned whether a complete set of missing cards could be possible to be made, and I wondered if backs could be possible. I succeeded with the regular set a few years ago, and while making Traded checklists for each set, I did the 1992 one, not really expecting to work on it. After finishing the '93 set earlier this year, I decided to go after the 1992 Traded set, hoping to get it done by the end of this year. I started going after it pretty hard core during free time on off days, and today, I am happy to say that it is finished. That means that anyone who played a game in the 1991 and 1992 seasons has a 1992 Topps card picturing them with the correct team (either in Topps's main sets, or one of mine). Here is a link to my 1992 Topps behemoth. Here are some of my favorite cards from the Traded set.

Steve Lyons Braves, one of 3 Steve Lyons cards in the Traded set (4 if you include the main set as well)

Steve Lyons card #2
Jeff Kent's rookie, one of 2 in the Traded set (since he was acquired from the Blue Jays in '92)
Tim Salmon rookie (this card would've been RED HOT in 1993!)
Kirk Gibson (from a picture I took in Spring Training in 1992). 
Billy Hatcher that I liked the photo of
John Wathan (I searched far and wide for a photo of John Wathan in an Angels uniform from 1992, finding nothing. When I finally searched 'California Angels 1992 team photo', I came upon a photo from a fight they had against Seattle, with Wathan, albeit not facing forward, right there)
Jackie Brown (note the Donruss logo on the scoreboard)
Mike Fetters acting crazy
Steve Lyons #3
Jose Canseco (a HUGE traded card that missed making the Traded set because he was traded so late in the season)
David Cone (see Canseco reason)
And finally, another Jeff Kent rookie.

This set was fun, but I really don't want to ever make a set with backs again. This took probably 3 times the amout of time as a normal set has. I'll be glad to make regular front-only sets from now on. I believe I'll start on the 1994 & 1998 Topps Traded sets as my main sets, while working on the 1986 set to help the ARAIG guys.
I eventually want to get the Traded sets done and work on the ‘91 Topps main/Traded sets. 
Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy 



2 comments:

  1. The Cone, Canseco, and Salmon cards would definitely be popular. And the Jackie Brown Topps Donruss card probably wouldn't pass through QC in 1992 but they're asleep at the wheel these days so who knows? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete