Sunday, January 26, 2020

1972 Topps Traded Willie Mays

Not much of a post today, just decided I would show off a 1972 Topps Traded Willie Mays custom I made today. I have been working on making a blank 1972 Topps template, and have also made one for the Traded subset. After doing that, I decided to make one for Willie Mays featuring him in a Mets jersey. Giovanni from When Topps had Balls made one, and I decided to use a different photo, and I think it turned out pretty good. I have finished the 1972 Topps missing player checklist, and am starting on the '73 set. Hopefully I will get through the '70's pretty quick, and with the 5 or so Traded sets that I have finished in the '80's, I should be pretty close to the '90's when the '70's checklists are finished.

On a more dark note, I'm sure you have recently heard that one of the greatest basketball players of all time, Kobe Bryant, passed away today. I wasn't ever a big fan of his, but I have to admit that scoring 80 points in a game is amazing, and that he was unstoppable at times.
When I first started making customs, I made a 1996 Topps custom of Bryant featuring him in a Charlotte Hornets uniform. The Hornets drafted him, but traded him to the Lakers for Vlade Divac. Here is the custom.
Image result for 1996 topps kobe bryant hornets"
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and fans.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. It's been a few years since I followed the NBA, but Kobe was my favorite player when I did. When it came to passion and dedication to the game... very few have played on his level. It's just so tragic that he was taken away from his family, friends, and fans way too soon. And even more sad that his daughter and seven others were with him. My thoughts are with all of their friends and families.

    ReplyDelete