Thursday, January 26, 2017

World Series Winners Part 3: 2001 Topps #796 Lance Johnson

Lance Johnson came up to the Majors for the first time in 1987 with the Cardinals. The next 8 years he spent with the Chicago White Sox, making a name for himself as a great centerfielder and hitter. In 1996 he played with the Mets, and split 1997 between them and the Chicago Cubs after he was traded. He stayed with the Cubs in 1998 and 1999, before spending his last year in MLB with the Yankees in 2000, where he won a World Series.

I remember watching Lance play while a teenager. I saw many of his games on TV, since he was with the White Sox and they were on WGN all of the time. I just remember him being so fast and getting so many triples and being called "1 Dog" for his uniform number. I also remember him Homering in the 1993 ALCS against the Blue Jays. Some of the highlights from Johnson's career include leading the league in triples for 4 straight year, becoming the first player to do so. When he led the NL in triples in 1996, he became the 4th player in history to achieve that feat. He led the AL in hits in 1995 and the NL in 1996, becoming the 1st player in history to do so. He also had a 6 for 6 game in which he hit 3 triples. Lance is also on one of my favorite cards in my collection, as I have his 1993 Topps Finest Refractor.
Lance appeared on every Topps set from 1989-2000. He missed out on getting into the 1988 Topps and 2001 Topps sets. It's funny because he was given a card in the 1988 Topps Big set, but not the regular set. This 2001 Topps custom only leaves the 1988 Topps card in order to finish Lance's career Topps run.

I'm hoping to get a few packs of 2017 Topps whenever they come out (I'm not sure if it's the 1st or the 8th of February, I've seen different dates on it), and I think I'll probably post what I get. While this blog is mostly about custom cards, I love collecting cards and I may try to post more about my collection.  Hope everyone gets some good stuff out of their first packs of the new year. 

Thanks for reading my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment