Tuesday, January 3, 2017

1994 Topps Season Highlights Jose Canseco

This is another cool Season Highlights card that Topps missed out on in the early '90's. On May 29th of 1993, Jose convinced his manager Kevin Kennedy to let him pitch an inning in a blowout. Canseco ended up injuring his arm and missing a decent amount of time in 1993, possibly costing him a shot at 500 Home Runs in his career. Score highlighted the moment ok Jose's 1994 Score base card with a photo of him pitching in the game.

This card was pretty simple to make. I used a 1994 Topps preview design which is different from the '94 regular set because of the brown background behind the player name instead of green. I've made a few other season highlights cards for other teams in this set, and they look pretty cool.

I am almost completely finished with the templates for every team from 1989-2001. I just have the NL teams in the 1997 set, and I will be finished. After that, I may do some easy copy and paste sets such as 2007 and 2008, but I'll probably take a break from templates and actually do some customs after that. I also want to possibly work on finalizing a checklist for the 2016 Topps set since Topps has templates on their website and those are pretty easy to make. Plus, I would think those designs could be taken off of the page sooner than later, especially with the 2017 set coming out in a month or two. I remember when Topps first started offering the customizable trading cards that they had the 2007-2009 designs available, and now those templates are nowhere to be found.

I put up a page for the 1998 Topps set, and after I finish the '97 templates, I'll put up pages for the other sets that are missing pages up through 2001. It's a bunch of pages, but I feel that's the best way to go. That way I can put templates up with each set, and the main page won't be as long as Santa's naughty list. Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Cool card! I was at that game, in fact, it was the last major league I have attended to date. One of the batters who hit against him, Luis Rivera, later told me that everyone was trying to hit a homer off him. A memorable performance and not in a good way, from Canseco's perspective - or Kevin Kennedy's. Enjoyed seeing this. There is video on YouTube but I never saw a card of it before.

    ReplyDelete