Wednesday, January 11, 2017

1995 Topps #689 Charlie Hough

Charlie Hough played in the Majors from 1970-1994. He played for the Dodgers from 1970 through the middle of 1980 when he was sold to the Texas Rangers. After a decade with the Rangers, he pitched in 1991 and 1992 for the White Sox, and finished his career with the Florida Marlins in 1993 and -994. Charlie was a knuckleballer,  and the pitch helped keep him in the Bigs for a long time.

Charlie got his first Topps card in the 1972 set, and then appeared in every set through 1994. He also got a 1991 Topps Traded card. The only cards needed to finish his career Topps run are a 1971 Topps rookie, and this 1995 Topps sunset card. I am also adding another 1993 Topps card of Charlie picturing him with the White Sox, since he spent 1992 with them. The 1993 expansion started the practice of Topps putting players in their new uniforms and not giving them a final card with their old team. In my opinion, Series 1 should always feature cards of players in the previous years team uniform. Series 2 also should, and the Traded set should be reserved for rookies and then and only then should players get new cards with updated uniforms and team info. I can't stand the recent practice of Topps where they give a player a card in Series 1 or 2 featuring them with team A, and then for whatever reason, giving them a Traded card still with teamA since they never changed teams. This is why 500+players don't have Topps cards every year. You may issue a 350  card series 1 set, a 350 card series 2 set, and a 350  card Traded set, but with all these duplicate cards of every player, the real player count is probably closer to 800 or 900, not 900 or 1000 like it should be. Just my opinion and one of the reasons I feel why I have to do all of these crazy customs.

It should be noted that after I made this card that I saw that GCRL did a post of the same card, this one featuring a back. I probably wouldn't have made this card had I known that one existed, but that's ok. The funny thing is that I think we found the same photo to use for the card. What are the odds?

I'm working slowly but surely on the 2016 Topps final checklist. 4 teams are done so far, but I'll get done eventually. I've been making a good number of customs too, as you can probably tell if you've noticed more names crossed off of some of the checklist pages. Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy 

No comments:

Post a Comment