Friday, August 15, 2014

1986 Topps Traded Mark McGwire




I was 15 when Mark McGwire broke the single-season Home Run record. I had 3 younger sisters, and it was tough trying to share things with them. The youngest was into gymnastics, and every time a competition came on TV she would have to watch it, no it's and's or but's, and she would also record it on the VCR (remember those?). Then she would re-watch the tapes whenever she wanted, and we couldn't do anything about it. I never understood that. If she saw the competition before, didn't she know who would win, and when someone would fall off the beam or whatever? So naturally, it came as no surprise that when Mark McGwire had 61 Home Runs that I wouldn't be able to watch him play on the TV, I had to let my sisters watch it, and I had to try to find a station on the radio that had the game on, and listen through the static. When he came to bat, I somehow managed to convince my sisters to change the channel, and I watched him hit #62. The victory was short-lived however, and I didn't get to watch the celebration, and the girls got to turn it back to whatever re-run was more important than a once-in a lifetime breaking of a sacred baseball record. McGwire's 1985 Topps rookie was hotter than fire at that time, and my best friend's Dad owned one or two. He sold them shortly thereafter, and made a nice chunk of change. I wouldn't own one until 2011. The closest thing I had at the time was his 1988 Topps card. I think maybe if Topps had produced this 1986 Topps traded card, that I would've got it, and it would've been almost like owning his rookie. With some of the cards I plan on creating in the 1986 Topps Traded, 1988 Topps Traded, and 1991 Topps Traded sets, you will be able to see that Topps missed out on making alot of cards that would've been gobbled up at the time, and would've made those sets very popular. Here is the first 1986 Topps Traded card in my custom set.

No comments:

Post a Comment