Tuesday, December 17, 2019

COMC Parallel Haul

Back during the COMC Black Friday sale, I got 100 cards or so to add to my collection. Most of them were parallels of guys in my Favorite Player Collection that helped get closer to or finish some rainbows of cards, as well as a few cards to help complete some projects I've been working on. 
Let's see the haul. 


First up, I got the remaining few player cards I needed to complete my 1993 Topps Black Gold insert set.  I put all of the cards together to get a picture of the completed set. 
I also purchased a few of the redemption cards, to give me all of the redemption cards, and leaving me needing only 3 Certified Winner cards (AB, CD, and the grandmother of them all, ABCD). 
The difference between the two are more noticable on the backs. On the pack-inserted redemption cards, it has the spot for you to write your name and info, and on the Certified Winners (sent back after you redeemed the set), it has the players you won listed on the back. If you have any of the Certified Winner cards I need up for trade, hit me up.
Next up are some cards I got from the 1998 UD3 set. I was always intrigued by the set. It had 3 subsets that made up the 90-card set (30 cards each). Every card in the set also had 3 different (parallel?) versions of it, Embossed, Special FX, and Rainbow. I was fascinated by the set because it was between 3 and 5 dollars a pack, and only had 3 cards per pack. With my money back then as a 15-year old, I mostly purchased packs of Topps, Upper Deck, and Collector's Choice. More cards for 1-2 bucks. Here is a picture of an ad from Beckett of the set from It's like having my own Card Shop's blog.
 
The ad somehow incorrectly has the first card on the top right listed as Embossed technology, when it is a Special FX version. I purchased each technology of each subset, as well as a cheap die-cut card from each technology, so I basically had every version of each subset.
Going from left to right, you have the subsets (Establishment, Future Impact, and Power Corps), and top to bottom are the technology (Embossed, Rainbow, and Light FX). The very bottom row are the die-cuts.
I, of course, purchased some guys for my Favorite Player Collection, mainly adding some fun parallels of guys, a few relic cards I didn't have (Everett and Huff), an autograph or two (Dozier and McGowan), and some key cards I didn't have (Fielder rookie, Jacome Bowman, Alstott rookie), and sets I've always wanted (Fulmer Crusade, Gibson Millenium insert, Kluber Vector, Piatt Finest insert). The last random cards on the last photo are a Mark Appel & Sam Fuld rookie, a Brook Jacoby sunset card, a Khalil Greene relic (loved how he played SS), and a Brian Anderson Bowman foil I remember pulling as a kid and then trading away.
Here are a few Tigers and Rays I got to use up the rest of my store credit. The Joe Nathan is a Bubble-Fractor. I thought it would be a lot more textured and shiny, but it is still a cool card. On the bottom are some of the previously mentioned UD3 cards, as well as a Finest Jumbo of Dave Staton.
Lastly, I wanted to take pictures of some of the parallels and regular cards together to show off some of the rainbows. I have a Jack Cust '99? Gold Label & Gold Label die-cut, a Greg Halman 2009 Bowman & Bowman International, as well as his 2008 Bowman base, gold, and Chrome cards.
The '98 Score Rookie Traded Juan Encarnacion base I actually got out of a baseball pinball game at an arcade. The machine would shoot out cards the better you did at the game, and I played it a few times in 1998 and besides the Encaracion, I remember pulling the 1996 Topps Andruw Jones/Vlad Guerrero rookie. Now I have the Artists Proof to go along with the Encarnacion, as well as one to go along with my '98 Score Brady Anderson. I picked up the Chrome Refractor of Brooks Kieschnick's 1996 Topps card. Just need to get his Cubs team set version and regular Chrome version of the card. I got the Museum Collection of Robert Eenhoorn to go with his regular '95 Pinnacle card, a '97 Finest Refractor to go with the base of Bubba Trammell, and in a bit of a reverse fashion, I pulled the yellow Printing Plate of Jose Contreras from a pack of '07 Upper Deck, and now have the base card to go along with it.
Earlier in the year, The Buc Stops Here hooked me up wth 4 Bandon Inge 2013 Topps cards, and I added his Gold card to go along with the base, Green, Red, and Blue cards. I think I may be finished with Tony Saunders' 97 Ultra rainbow, with his base, Gold Medallion, and Platinum Medallion cards.
I considered getting all of the Refractors of Kenly Jansen's 2017 Topps Chrome card that were listed on COMC, but decided to get some cheaper cards. I still managed to pick up 2 more, so now I have his regular refractor, X-Fractor, Negative Refractor, and his Chrome Sapphire Refractor.
I think my 1997 Score Rafael Bournigal rainbow is finished. I have the base, Artists Proof, Reserve, and Showcase cards. Lastly, are Dave Staton's base 1994 Finest, All-Star, and Jumbo All-Star cards. I never knew he had a base finest card in the set. Still need the refractor versions, but it's cool to have all of the base cards and the jumbos.

It was nice to get a big shipment of cards at the end of the year after all of the craziness that has went on in 2019. As I write this, my wife is getting a scan done that may give us some answers about all of the pressure stuff in her head. Definitely sounds like more of a solution that what has been done so far, and if the scan shows the right things, there may be a possibility of relif for her, which would be nice. 2019 has sucked for a lot of people (and bloggers) that I know, and I have a feeling that 2020 is going to be an amazing year for me and a lot of other people. To anyone who has sent me a trade package this year and got my mind off of all of the craziness and to anyone who has sent a kind word or had me and my family in their thoughts and prayers this year, thank you. It truly means a lot.

I have been working on finishing my checklists. The main ones are done, and now it's just working on the 'traded and rookies' for every set. I started with 1951, and will keep working up to 2019. So far, I am in the middle of 1954, and they are going pretty quick. Hopefully they will keep doing so.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy













5 comments:

  1. Love the '93 Black Gold cards.
    Good luck with your wife's scan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope your wife's scan comes back and everything is all good, Jeremy.

    I like the Black Gold haul. I loved that set back in the day. I had the Joe Carter from what I remember. Those UD3 Power Corps cards were pretty boss. Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping everything goes well with the scan, my friend.

    Looks like a heck of an order! Buying those bubble refractors gets addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been over 20 years... and I still haven't figured out UD3. They all look like inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gavin- Yeah, Black Golds are cool. Hope you finish your sets. I still need to send you a few that I have.
    Bryan-Thanks. I pulled the Carter from a 500- count box. I think I liked the Future Impact Cards the best but the Power Corps were my second favorite.
    Nick-Yeah. I could’ve probably got more Bubblefractors but was close to the end of my funds.
    Fuji-Yeah, the UD3 set was confusing. I think I always considered it a set with 3 subsets. The technologies were a little confusing to me but after buying a pack and seeing a few that my friend purchased, it looked like the Establishment ‘common’ technology was Embossed, Future Impact was Rainbow Foil, and Power Corps was Soecial FX. When I looked at the set like that, it was like a 90 card set to me with 30 Establishment embossed, 30 Future Impact Rainbow foil, and 30 Power Corps special fx, and all of rest were parallel cards. It is still a very confusing set.

    And to everyone who wished us well with the scans, looks like there is something wrong in a vein or artery in her chest that is causing a clog and perhaps making the pressure in her head so high. Her case is being presented to a meeting of doctors that specialize in that in a few weeks, so we should know what’s next once that is over with.

    ReplyDelete