Thursday, April 4, 2019

Why all the Donruss hate?

A little over a week ago, I got my first taste of 2019 Donruss. While the no logos are always a turnoff and the design itself is a little busy and confusing, I have to say that I am a fan. I enjoyed the 1985 throwback cards, and I got some nice inserts and bonus cards in my hanging box. 

That led me to the question 'why does everyone hate Donruss?'. I will be the first to admit that the cards would look 100% better with logos, but they totally make up for it with the inserts and all of the shiny. Don't believe me? Here is a look at just a few of the shiny cards, inserts, and parallel cards I have pulled from packs in the past 4-5 years. 



They are just quality cards with nice printing technology. I love how many of them shine. I love how they are serial numbered on the front so you can display that you pulled something cool. I love how many of the cards are throwbacks to old sets that I collected or inserts that I wouldn't have had a chance of pulling back in the day. Speaking of printing technology, check out some of the cards I have purchased online from Donruss/Panini
Those Elite Extra Edition cards especially are neat. Why can't Topps put out anything like this? Superfractors and Blue Wave/all of the Bowman refractor versions are nice, but all of the stuff that Donruss does along with the Dufex technology stuff are just a nice change from the same old same old refractors we get from Topps. I think one of two options would be good for the collecting world.
One, Topps buys Donruss out, but uses all of the printing technology they have. It probably won't happen, and if it did, Topps would probably just let all their printing technology go to waste and destroy all their inventory.
Two, MLB could give BOTH Donruss and Topps a license to print cards, and there would be something we haven't had in years: a little creativity due to competition. Imagine what Topps could do with cards if they had Donruss breathing down their neck. If Donruss had the right to use MLB logos, I bet collectors would scoop them up if they liked the design and inserts better than whatever Topps makes. Just a little healthy wishing from afar off.

People like to complain about how Donruss doesn't have logos and the designs are different, but that's ok. I like alot of what they are doing, and I will continue to bust a few packs of their flagship product every year and continue to hunt any shiny Donruss cards I can find, because it appeals to me even without the logos on them.

My wife is still in the hospital resting and hopefully healing. Thanks to anyone who has wished us well.  It was nice to be home for a little bit today and get to play with my son after work. In between work and picking him up from day care, I finished the 1970 Topps missing player checklist. I might start out with the expansion team cards in the '69 set. It is kind of cool to see how things were done in sets from before I was born. I can tell you that in about 1972, Topps started making less cards of players in their new uniforms if they were traded in the offseason. They still had cards of players from expansion teams the year before they played in both the '69 and '78 Topps sets, just like they did in the '93 and '98 Topps sets. Many players in 1969 played for 3 teams in a season. It leads me to believe that they were considered as expendable, and if they couldn't get it done, they were released or traded, and a better player took their place. Much like today, where players are sent to the minors and released. It was also funny to note that many players in the '70's also played in Japan like players do today. One day I will do a post on all of the interesting things I have learned about baseball cards, players, and the game itself as I have done all this research for missing players.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. That's the beauty of our hobby. One man's junk is another man's treasure. If everyone liked the same stuff, our hobby would probably be pretty boring.

    Hopefully your wife is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete