Monday, September 3, 2018

Card sorting and a package from Fuji

So this past weekend, my wife went out of town to see her brother and family while I was stuck at home taking care of the dogs and working. I had planned on working on my 1998 Topps customs and maybe updating my Player Collection pages, but fate had another thing in store.
I had been seeing some commercials for the Offer Up app on TV, and had kind of been wondering if they had baseball cards on the app. I never downloaded the app, but decided to check Craigslist to see if anyone had some baseball cards for cheap. I found an ad for 3 4,000-5,000 count boxes for 20 bucks about 45 minutes away from me, and I figured it might be worth a shot. I got the feeling from e-mailing the guy that they were all probably '80's and '90's cards, but maybe I could knock him down to 15 or so for all of it. I met up with him on Friday, and after looking at the boxes, the smallest one looked like it had some late '90's sets, so I just gave him the 20 and came home (eventually after some bad patches of traffic) with the 3 boxes about 2 hours later.
 I had thought that it wouldn't take that long to sort those cards, but 2 days later, the are just sorted into teams. I still need to sort them by years, and I also need to then combine them with the rest of my cards in boxes. Once that is done, I would love to put them into binders, and ultimately only buy newer cards in an effort to make organization alot simpler.
I found mostly '80's and '90's cards that were dupes (which I expected), but was pleasantly surprised to find a good number of '96-'98 Fleer, Ultra, Collector's Choice, and Topps cards. I had purchased a few packs during those years whenever my teenaged budget could afford, but I am really missing stuff from many of the sets those years. The gems of the collection had to be 3 '97 Fleer, 1 '97 Ultra, and 3 '98 Topps David Ortiz rookies, and 3 '90 Donruss Juan Gonzalez reverse negative errors.
 I will be sorting the rest of those cards for a while, probably pushing the finishing of the '98 Topps set into 2019, but I will still post the 50 card blocks of the set as I get them done.

I also got a prize package from Fuji for commenting on his autograph BBA post and being one of the top 5 in the random draw. He sent some nice Rays/Devil Rays hits, including a Juan Salas autograph from '07 SP Rookie edition. I pulled the redemption for this card back in '07, sent it in, got the autographed card back, but then ultimately lost it when I sold most of my autographed cards, so I am happy to now have it back. Thanks for the nice cards, Fuji!
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Wowza! You scored big time with those Big Papi rookie cards. Congratulations!

    P.S. Glad your prize package arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete