Wednesday, June 20, 2018

1996 Topps: What I have so far

Another favorite set of mine, I remember buying a handful of Series 1 packs of '96 Topps, and pulling a '52 Topps Mickey Mantle insert and a Ken Griffey, Jr. card in the same pack. I didn't get too many packs of Series 2, but I did buy a few team sets with a special logo on them (Braves, Indians, Mariners, and Yankees). Each had a special jumbo card, and I believe I still have all 4. I finally bought the complete set about 10 years ago. I love the way this set looks, with the little details like an orange shadow on the front of AL players, and green for the NL ones (same for the color of the home plate on the backs). This is another set that I think should get more love from collectors. Now, making customs of this set is a pain in the butt. Having to basically do a cutout of the main photo, shrink it, and get it colored blue, is a chore, but I think it will be worth it when I can finally look at the finished 1996 Topps set, hopefully in a few years. Here is what I've gathered so far.




 Alex Rodriguez by Topps


 Kirk Gibson by Richard
 Sparky Anderson Manager by Richard


 Bobby Cox Manager by Richard


 Ron Darling by Richard
 John Kruk by Richard
 Johnny Oates Manager by GCRL


























 Rob Dibble by Richard





 Ned Yost by Richard







 Gregg Olson by Jay's Cards and Stuff
 Rafael Bournigal by Topps


 Tom Lasorda Manager by GCRL
 Dusty Baker Manager by GCRL
 Bill Russell Coach by GCRL
 Omar Olivares by Condition Sensitive




 Don Zimmer Coach by Richard
 Don Baylor Coach by Richard


 (I took this picture in Spring Training in 1996)
 Jim Leyland Manager by Richard
 Chris Chambliss/Jose Cardenal/Bob Gibson/Red Schoendienst Coaches by Richard
 Jim Rice Coach by Richard

 Tony LaRussa Manager by Richard
 Lou Piniella Manager by Richard
 Cito Gaston Manager by Richard
 Eddie Murray Season Highlights by Richard
 Robin Ventura Season Highlights by Richard

 Greg Maddux Season Highlights by Richard

 (I took this picture in Spring Training 1996)

 David Justice Postseason Highlights by Richard
 Eddie Murray Postseason Highlights by Richard
 Atlanta Braves Postseason Highlights by Richard

 Wrigley Field by Richard
 Coors Field by Richard
 Joe Robbie Stadium by Richard
 Charles Johnson Future Stars by Richard





























 Shea Stadium by Richard
 I took this photo during Spring Training in 1996
 Busch Stadium by Richard
 Candlestick Park by Richard


 Fernando Valenzuela by Richard
 Fenway Park by Richard
 Angels Stadium by Richard
 Jacobs Field by Richard
 Kauffman Stadium by Richard
 Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome by Richard
 Yankee Stadium by Richard

 The Kingdome by Richard
 Skydome by Richard

 Alan Trammell Coach by Richard
 I showed this custom to Barry Lyons, and he was impressed with the job I did getting him to look like he was in a White Sox uniform (the original picture shows him in an Angel uniform).

 Carlos Delgado Future Star by Richard
 Jorge Posada by Richard
 Ryan Dempster Draft Pick by Richard
 Joe Nathan Draft Pick by Richard
 Mike Lowell Draft Pick by Richard
Another '96 Spring Training photo.


The 1998 Topps set is coming along little by little. We are past card #1050, and into the pitching staff of the San Diego Padres. I'm plugging away, so don't be surprised when I post that the NL is finished. I probably won't do a "What I have so far" post of '98 Topps, but I will keep you updated. I will also probably keep going with the theme up through some of the more current sets, and I think I will combine a few years that I only have a few cards in. I hope you enjoyed the 1996 cards.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

6 comments:

  1. Was the Arod from an archives set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 2005, I believe, Topps (and Bowman products) put out an insert set with missing ARod cards. Topps included his 1994 Draft Pick, 1995, 1996, and 1997 cards. I actually pulled an autographed Bowman’s Best ARod card out of a Bowman’s Best pack that year.

      Delete
  2. OK I will have to check out trading card db. I was having trouble finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this blog, looks like we have similar projects. Just wanted to ask where you found the Matt Nokes picture for this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I just googled Matt Nokes Rockies and I found an autographed picture and had to remove the signature. I’ve seen some of your customs and used them to mark cards off of my list, like the ‘93 Mark Knudson, the ‘96 Juan Acevedo, and the ‘07 Javy Lopez. You do some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction, it was the ‘96 Omar Olivares that I used, not Acevedo

    ReplyDelete