Thursday, February 8, 2018

My first Card Show

On February 3rd, I went to my first ever card show with my stepdad. My wife dropped me off around 9, and I got started looking at the first table. He had a few good quarter boxes with some highlight cards which I got a few of, and also a few vintage cards. My stepdad met me while I was at that table, and he enjoyed looking at their vintage football cards and talking about the players.
I was done with that one, so I went and scouted the area. There were maybe 20-30 different vendors there, and I made a note of the ones with dime/quarter/dollar boxes, and then went to each one. The first one had a few 5000 count boxes of more recent common cards, and I got some Rays/Tigers/Favorite Players from it since I sometimes miss out on issues like Heritage/Allen & Ginter/Bowman. They also had some commons from 2018 Topps, and I got a few guys I wanted. I also found a 2018 Topps Gold Parallel card in the box, proving my point about my 2018 Topps review that the Gold cards look almost like regular ones.
After leaving that table, I made my way around to the back part of the show. I had a few manu-patch cards I was looking to get rid of, and a guy asked me if I was selling and he gave me 5 bucks for the stack, and I was happy to get those monsters off of my hands.
I went to one of the last tables, and started looking through the guys quarter box, and dang, did he have some great cards!  Probably not to the average collector, but he had parallels and regular cards of guys from the '90's and '00's that I saw play in the minors and collect. He had 3 5000 card boxes full of them, and I made it through the first box and about halfway through the second. My neck was starting to hurt, my stepdads legs were starting to hurt, and my wife said that our 14-month old son, who she was at the mall with, was starting to get cranky, so I cashed out, and waited for her to come pick me up.
I ended up spending like $45, which was a little under budget, and I got some really cool cards. Now, on to the pictures of the fun day.
 I got a bunch of cool Tigers/Devil Rays/Rays cards to add to my binders, including the '81 Fleer Fidrych, some '92 Topps Gold cards, and various parallels.
 I added some cool cards to my Favorite Player Collection, including a card of Sidney DeJong, a few Max Scherzers, and a 2016 Topps Heritage Pat Venditte.
I really got some nice additions to my famous rookie card/highlights/shiny/neat cards binders, including a 1985 Topps USA style Will Clark, '87 Topps Traded Maddux rookie, '88 Score Glavine rookie, '89 Bowman Griffey rookie, '99 Topps Pat Burrell rookie, a 2011 Sports Illustrated for Kids Bryce Harper, 2 World Series Highlights cards from '69 Topps, a '75 Topps Hank Aaron Highlight, a '75 Topps regular Hank Aaron, an '82 Donruss San Diego Chicken card, an '83 Fleer Ripken, some promo card for Ken Griffey Jr. plastic sleeves, and some various cards mixed in.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I wish I had a little more time, because that last table had some great stuff, and I would've liked to look through all their boxes, as well as hunt for some cheap game-used cards. There just wasn't enough time, but it was alot of fun, and I hope to go to another one soon.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on attending your first card show! Gotta admit, I can't remember anything about my first card show since it was decades ago. They all just seem to blend together. Kinda wish I had a blog back then to document things. Can't wait to read about your next one.

    ReplyDelete