Friday, January 5, 2018

20 packs and a 'relic'

So I really don't post much about my collection much here, mainly focusing on custom cards, but I got a repack box today with 20 packs and a 'relic' so I thought I'd post what I got for a change of pace.

The box was 20 bucks, and judging from the packs I got in it, I think I got my moneys worth just from what the packs would've cost me. The box contained 4 packs of '90 Upper Deck, 4 packs of the Leaf Babe Ruth set, 4 packs of '16 Topps Bunt, 6 packs of '16 Stadium Club, 2 packs of '14 Panini Prizm Draft Picks, and 1 pack of '16 Topps Heritage. The Stadium Club, Heritage, and Prizm packs would've probably cost 2 bucks apiece, and with the 4 packs of Bunt and the 4 Babe Ruth packs at maybe 1 buck each, I think I did well. I was half expecting 15 packs of Triple Play, one of the biggest jokes of a set in recent years.

So let's see how I did. I'm going to save the best for last, so we'll start out with the '90 Upper Deck packs. 

I pulled Orel Hershiser, Terry Leach, and Barry Lyons for my Player Collection, Frank Tanana, Fred Lynn, and Guillermo Hernandez for my Tigers binder, a Red Sox, Orioles, Twins, and Mariners hologram, a Ben McDonald rookie which would've been worth a little when it was pulled, a Jim Rice (who I didn't realize got a final Upper Deck card), 2 Doc Gooden team checklists, and 2 Mike Witt cards (both of which were not the blacked out version on the back.
Next up is the Babe Ruth set.
I wasn't expecting much from this. I hate the Yankees, I don't really care for Babe Ruth. The only way these few packs would've been special would've been if I pulled a relic or autograph or something. I got a few neat photos, 1 of Babe posing as a righty, one of him golfing, and another of him signing a bat.

I never thought Bunt was that cool, but let's see what I get.
I got some Joe Mauer kind of magazine cover thing, a Trevor Story rookie for the rookie binder, and a Corey Kluber for the PC. Was hoping for a Ray or Tiger, but at least I pulled something.

I'm a little excited about Stadium Club. I wouldn't have purchased packs of this just because it is a little overpriced for me and it is a knock off of '97 Fleer. I'm hoping to pull a parallel and some Tigers/Rays.
I think I did ok with these packs. I got a Brian Johnson, dupes of Jacob deGrom, and a regular and gold version of Corey Kluber for the PC, Chris Archer and Erasmo Ramirez for my Rays binder, and JD Martinez, Ian Kinsler, and a Migule Cabrera insert for my Tigers one. Lastly, I pulled a Corey Seager and Trevor Story rookie and a Josh Donaldson insert.

On to the Prizm packs.
I got a Ross Kivett to add to my Tigers, an AJ Reed rookie, and a Nick Howard refractor.

Finally, the Heritage pack.
I was hoping I would get a few Tigers/Rays, and I think I did good, getting a John Axford and Keon Broxton for my PC, and a Chrome Josh Hamilton.

Now, we see what the relic card is.
I guess I should've read the fine print on the packaging.
Apparently, autographs are now considered to be relics.  According to Wikipedia, Ethan played with the Phillies for 2 seasons, and hasn't been in the Majors in a few years. 

I think it was a win. I got to bust 20 packs, most of which I hadn't opened before, I got some Rays/Tigers, and PC guys, and a nice autographed refractor. 

I recently won an auction on eBay of the Elite Extra Edition Tie Dye Aspirations #d to 10 card of Brody Koerner. That only leaves me with the 1/1 Status Gold card to complete the rainbow. I really hope to find it on eBay, but I'm not sure if it could pop up somewhere else, so if you happen to see it somewhere, please let me know. I have never tried to complete one before, but I think I did ok by getting a 1/10 card and a 1/1 and only needing another 1/1 to finish it.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. I'll take an auto in place of a relic any day! Now, those manufactured "relics", not so much. Of course, it would be better to have a relic of someone better known, but that's repacks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Finest refractors are really nice looking. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete