Monday, August 26, 2024

Random things I’ve found on cards Part 2

 Since I got a lot of good feedback on the first post, I thought I would do a continuation. This post will feature mainly stuff I’ve found on the backs of cards, as well as a number of selections from 1995 Topps, but I hope it will still be fun. 


CIGAR- 2005 Topps #278 Jack McKeon
Jack was notoriously famous for having a victory cigar after a big win, and after winning the 2004 World Series, Topps decided to use a photo of him with a cigar for his 2005 issue. I also want to note that while Jeff Torborg got fired in the beginning of the 2004 season, he might have been able to turn the Marlins around like McKeon did, so I think he still deserves a little credit (and a ring, if he didn’t get one). Makes you wonder how many teams have fired a coach or manager and won a title in the same season. 



PIECE OF A HUMAN BONE- 1996 Stadium Club #406 John Hudek
I have been a Hudek fan since his rookie season in 1994. He made big news for becoming an All-Star even though he was winless. It was even bigger news as he started the season in the minors. He kind of fizzled out after that, but I’ll always remember him being a flash in the pan closer and his cards being hot in 1994 for a few months. 
As big of a Hudek fan that I am, I had never seen his ‘96 Stadium Club card or heard the story that it mentions. Apparently he had rib surgery and decided to have part of the rib that they took out made into a necklace, which you can really see on the front. I believe a few of his cards in 1996 have the necklace shown on it as well. 
This card is one of just 2 that I know of (1991 Score #65 Jim Leyritz) that mention the photo on the front of the card. 

Now I will show you some interesting stuff I’ve found on backs of cards. Prepare to start digging your 1995 Topps cards out of boxes. 


STABBING- 1990 Donruss #538 Joey Cora
Let’s just get this one out of the way…Joey was stabbed by a fan after a game in 1986 and it is mentioned on his 1990 Donruss card in one of the final sentences.


SOAP OPERAS- 1995 Topps #81 Charlie Hayes
This card just mentions soap operas and not a specific one. I’m sure there was little time for soap operas in 3 years as the Hayes family would have their hands full with little Ke’Bryan. 


SPECIFIC SOAP OPERA (THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS)- 2001 Topps #16 Brian Jordan
My wife got me hooked on this show about 12 years ago, and I wish I would’ve caught Brian’s episode. At least he has good (or bad) tastes in shows. 


RATTLE- 1998 Topps #462 Quinton McCracken
The card mentions how McCracken was given a large rattle as an infant and accidentally knocked himself out with it. ‘90’s Topps card backs are really fun as you will soon learn. 


SHAVING CREAM- 1995 Topps #181 Jeff Reed
The back of this one mentions that Jeff would oil his gloves with shaving cream. I knew a guy who met Jeff and got season passes to Elizabethton Twins games from Jeff when he was coaching them. I should’ve tried to tag along to a game with him so I could ask Mr. Reed about his shaving cream theory. 


SNAKE OIL- 1995 Topps #529 Jose Rijo
I’ve already posted about Rijo’s amazing card photos, but if you think the fun stops there, look at the backs. His ‘95 Topps gem mentions that he puts 5 drops of snake oil on anything that hurts. 


DONKEYS- 1994 Topps #85 Tony Pena
There could be an earlier mention, but Tony Peña’s 1994 Topps issue mentions Tony being taken to childhood games by 4 donkeys. 


SLEEPING- 2020 Topps Heritage #112 Nick Ahmed
The newest of these fun cards, Nick’s 2020 Heritage card mentions how he often gets 11 hours of sleep each night. If I were truthful, that’s about how much I need to be running at 100%.  Now I usually get 5-6 per night, but on days off, I get more, and a few times a year I get the magical 11 like Nick does. 


SQUASH (THE SPORT)- 1995 Topps #130 Jeff Conine
Jeff played raquetball (his ‘96 Stadium club shows him holding a raquet), and the back of his ‘95 Topps issue mentions he played squash as well. I assume he still plays, but when I came across a page of current squash players, he wasn’t listed, so I assume he is sticking with his baseball front office/coaching job rather than joining the pro squash circuit. 


FOOSBALL- 1995 Topps #140 Dante Bichette
This one just casually mentions Dante winning the Tucson Arizona Foosball championship in 1994. I wonder if the event is still going on?  I actually got to meet Dante in 1999, and he signed this card for me, and I’m kicking myself for not asking him about the event. 



CONTACT LENSES/HOT CHILI PEPPERS- 1995 Topps #44 Bret Barberie
So many questions about this story. Bret eats some chili peppers. They cause his eyes to water. He rubs them. The chili juice gets in his contacts and he can’t wear them and misses a game.  While I stay away from hot foods and don’t know what pepper juice can do to a contact lens, this just seems fishy. Couldn’t he just spray them with solution to get the juice out?  Didn’t he have another pair?  Was his vision really that bad that he couldn’t have just played without them?  I think the peppers really just messed with his tummy and he was on the porcelain throne all night and the contacts were fine. 


ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE- 1994 Topps #343 Mo Sanford
While it is rare that you will hear me talk about a former Aleebammer Criminal Tide athlete on this Auburn Tiger-supporting blog, I had to mention this one just because it reminds me how most of their athletes are over-hyped, appear on national magazines, and then fizzle out. I mean, really.  If you weren’t a Rockies fan who is older than 40 or hadn’t went through your 1994 Topps binder card-by-card yesterday, would you even know who Mo Sanford is? And if you somehow did, would you even know he was a former Bammer?  Exactly. Just like how no current Yankee fan can tell you who Shane Spencer or Kevin Maas is. 


CEMETERY-1996 Topps #197 Roger Clemens
I kind of wonder the story behind this one. Was it at Arlington National Cemetery and Topps just forgot the ‘National’ part, or was it a random one in Arlington, TX?  Was Clemens just sightseeing on an off day, or visiting the burial site of a loved one?  What was Slick Willie doing there?  Was Lewinsky with him? Who were the other 2 presidents Roger has met?  Why does Topps put these stories on the back of cards without giving us all of the information?!!

ANSWERING MACHINE- 1995 Topps #200 Tim Salmon
For all of you millennials, an answering machine is the same as voicemail. When people had phones with a cord in their house, they didn’t have voicemail. Eventually someone invented a box that had a tape recorder that could be attached to the phone, and you could leave a voicemail on the answering machine. Google it sometime. I don’t really see the thrill of being related to Holly Hunter. I’ve heard of her maybe once or twice in the ‘90’s, and that had to have been during the prime of her career. I’m sure she came out on the better end of the deal being able to tell people she was related to Tim Salmon. I still think it’s a crime that he was never elected to an All-Star team. Who from the Angels was getting picked to represent the team instead of Tim?  Chili Davis? Jim Edmonds? Chad Curtis? Troy Percival? 

And the final random thing I’ve found on a card:


AMBULANCE/TOLL/PARALYSIS- 1995 Topps #183 Jim Edmonds
Speaking of Edmonds, another gem of a story uncovered by the guys that make the backs for the 1995 Topps set. Jim was hit by a pitch, paralyzed, taken to a hospital by ambulance, the driver didn’t have 3 bucks for a toll, got to the hospital late, Jim recovers, makes one of the best catches ever in 1998, and wins a World Series title in 2006. Does that mean the ambulance took a highway with a toll road?  Do they really bother making ambulance drivers pay tolls?  Why wouldn’t you let a vehicle with flashing lights and sirens go through?  All for 3 bucks that the toll collector won’t be seeing anyways. If people were payed by volume sold or number of customers served, you would see productivity go up.  Or just hire guys like the toll collector who wouldn’t let an ambulance go through a toll lane because they didn’t have 3 bucks and almost paralyzed borderline Hall of Famer Jimmy Edmonds. 

I’m sure there are some I’ve missed. I know there’s one of Robert Fick that mentions a stray cat, a 2016 Topps First Pitch insert that mentions a pageant Queen throwing a pitch in heels and a tiara, and a Daryl Boston one that mentions him doing a Stevie Wonder impression (another 1995 Topps, I believe). Check those backs, people. You’ll find some interesting stories. Especially on those ‘95 Topps cards. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy

5 comments:

  1. Ol' Satchel Paige was keen on that snake oil remedy himself & Dennis "Oilcan" Boyd. As well the nickname of Oilcan came about from drinking beer that some people represented the size of the can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time for the resurgence of my Wacky Wednesday's. (Hopefully at season's end). Get them warmed up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That McKeon is still the only card I've ever seen that even references smoking. I've always wondered how Topps snuck it past the censors.

    (Also never seen that Hudek before, nor did I know about his rib necklace! Gonna need a copy of that one.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I've started appreciating card backs more and more over the past decade or so... but it's usually the stats or cartoons that garner my attention. Guess I need to start reading the paragraphs too. I actually have a 1995 Topps set sitting in a box somewhere. Better go dig it out and start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fun! Love random, unusual facts on cards

    ReplyDelete