Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Where I’m at with the sorting and cards from Johnny

 Today I was finally able to finish organizing the NL cards from the huge lot the Johnny gifted me. I went through all of the Topps cards and uploaded new ones to TCDB and set aside dupes. I still want to go through my binders and pull out non-Topps dupes in order to conserve space for the forthcoming AL sorting, but other than that, the NL is all sorted and combined with my box of cards I’ve acquired in the last few years that needs to go into binders. 
Those cards from the last few years include a number of complete sets (‘85-‘95 Topps Traded, ‘99 Topps Traded, 1991 Topps, 1993-1995 Topps, 1997-1999 Topps, 2021 and 2022 Topps, 2021-2022 Topps Update, 1990-1992 Topps Debut, and 1991 Score Traded. A number of those sets have doubles that I have in binders, so that’s another reason why I want to go through my binders and weed everything out. The NL boxes stand at 3 monster boxes, maybe I can get it down to 2 or 2 and 1/2. 
Next step in my master plan is to separate all the AL cards from Johnny by team. After that, I’ll organize them by year, and then enter all of the Oriole and Red Sox Topps cards into TCDB. That will catch me up as far as all of the AL teams that I’ve entered Topps cards into the site for. Stay with me as the next step is tricky. I’ll take the next AL team (Chicago White Sox, as I organize them alphabetically by city) and go through my binder and enter all the Topps cards into TCDB, while also going through my organized AL box and culling out all of the dupes and entering Topps cards that I find in there. I’ll do that with the rest of the AL teams, and then the last step before putting some the loose cards into binders. 
I’ve done a pretty good job of pulling out multi player/multi team cards and sorting them by years and number. The plan is to put those cards in whatever team the best player is with. If I have multiple cards, I’ll put it with the next best players team. I also want to make a physical typed out list of all of my Topps needs by then as well so I can highlight a card once I’ve acquired it. Probably add the lists on this site as well. By that time, I’ll probably start entering my non-Topps cards into TCDB. It will also be easier for me once the non-Topps stuff is entered because if I get a random pack of cards, as long as I enter everything on the site, everything will be current. Might make this long, arduous process worth it. Almost forgot to mention some sets that are coming out that I might have to add to the boxes soon. For one, the 2023 Topps set was scheduled to release on August 2 last time I checked. I’ll sort those by teams and input them once I get my hands on a set. I also noticed that 2023 Topps Chrome is either out now or by the end of the month. Is Topps Chrome out that early every year?  I always thought it came out in like September or October around the time when Update comes out. I’m ok with it coming out earlier, but just hope it doesn’t mean that Topps just killed Opening Day and other issues just to get higher end stuff out earlier. I want Opening Day back in 2024 and not a SP filled version of Big League geared towards flippers. I guess we’ll see in 2024. 
Living so close to Johnny means that if I am lucky enough to win one of his daily contests, that I receive the cards relatively fast, sometimes before the next post is up if I win on a Friday. That was the case this week as I won last Friday and had an envelope of cards in my mailbox on Monday before the post was up that said I won. 
A bunch of Rays and a Tiger card, which was my first dose of the 2023 Bowman Mojo Mega Box refractors or whatever they are calling those refractor cards that have the almost Diamond plate pattern. The Glasnow card might have completed my 2021 Topps Chrome Sonic Rays set. Once my Topps cards are input, I’m going to input my Rays binders non-Topps stuff first. I’ll be real interested in how many sets I’ve completed and what players I have the most cards of. The Boggs is my first 2023 Donruss card, and the rest are nice Rays cards I believe I have but will be able to throw in my rookie card binder. I’m especially happy with the KK Update rookie and the Baz Bowmans Best rookie. 
Thanks for the nice cards, Johnny. 
That’s about it for me. Now I have to just figure out a way to balance all of the organizing, sorting, and list making along with all of the daily chores and hanging out with family. With this, I just need to enjoy the process and not rush it. It will eventually get finished and I’ll have something new to chase and I will be able to know my Topps needs. 
Thanks for taking the time to read my latest post. 
-Jeremy

3 comments:

  1. You save some of that work for Skyler now. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rays cards always look great in blue refractor form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just take your time with the sorting, you don't want to get burned out!

    ReplyDelete