Wednesday, August 3, 2022

RIP Mr. Scully

I’m sure by now everyone knows that Vin Scully passed away. I’m in no way a Dodgers fan (especially after the 2020 World Series), but I’m sure there aren’t many casual or non-baseball fans that haven’t heard Vin call a game. I was lucky enough to get within 5 feet of Mr. Scully in either 2004 or 2005. I was in Lakeland during Spring Training and the Dodgers came to town. Mr. Scully made the trip for some reason, and word got out. After the game, he comes out and told everyone he had to go, but started signing. I had a decision to make: try to get the once in a lifetime autograph of Vin Scully and miss on maybe multiple autographs, or get some sure bets and miss on getting Vin Scully. Of course, I chose quantity over quality and got the Tigers who have walked out. Eric Munson for sure, probably someone else like Wil Ledesma, Nate Cornejo, and Esteban Yan. I will regret that decision for the rest of my life. Vin just had an aura about him that day. It was like you knew a legend was walking out when he came out of the tunnel, kind of like when Ernie Harwell signed that year. 
Again, while I’m far from a Dodgers fan and have only listened to a full Dodgers game that Vin called a few times, I can’t deny that Vin has done it for so long that he is just woven into the fabric of Americana. And lifelong Dodgers fans are probably going to feel this one for a while. Heck, DeWayne Staats has only been calling Rays games since 1998, but when he calls his final Rays game, I’m going to be sad and whoever replaces him won’t ever be the same. It will be a sad day for me when his time is called. Me heart goes out to Vin’s family, Dodgers fans, and his coworkers and friends. 
I’ve done (and compiled) a few Vin Scully customs over the years. 


I made the 1951, the 1952 was done by the guy who ran the old 1952 Topps site, and I believe I did the 2017 Topps sunset card, but I’m not 100% sure, it was on my 2017 Topps page. 
I’ll have to add him to more sets, like the 1989 Topps set (for the ‘88 championship team), and maybe add him to checklists of all of the sets in between his ‘51 rookie and his ‘17 sunset card. 
Thanks for calling all of those games and being a part of so many baseball fans lives, Vin. You will be missed. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post. 
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. I've made plenty of collecting mistakes when it came to choosing quantity over quality, but thankfully I've never been in a situation where I had to choose between people to get autographs from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's where DeWayne Staats wound up. He was calling Cubs games on WGN when I first started watching games.

    ReplyDelete