Friday, August 17, 2018

Trade and a 2019 Topps Rob Manfred custom

About 2 weeks ago, Greg from Night Owl Cards did a post about how he was receiving a good number of 2018 Stadium Club cards. Some of the cards came from Peter of Baseball Every Night, who was offering up cards of teams he didn't need from the set. Peter had an Anthony Banda Rays card, which was also a red parallel, and I emailed him, and about a week later, not only did I get the sweet Banda card, but also a few other Rays cards. 
I was especially happy about the John Jaso rainbow, which will be added to his page in the Favorite Player Collection binder. Thanks again, Peter, for the sweet Rays cards. I have some cards for you in the mail that I hope you will enjoy.

So in my last post, I commented on how I thought Topps dropped the ball on putting out images for the 2019 set so late and that I didn't think they would have them out for awhile. Well, hours after I posted, they unveiled the 2019 Topps design. I should've played the lotto that day. While I think the design is a whole lot better than 2016, a good deal better than 2017, and slightly better than 2018, I still don't know what they are trying to do with the newer designs. I know many guys who make custom cards that could do a better job than what the guys at Topps are doing. To me, the design looks less like the 1982 set, and more like the 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated set and the 1968 Topps set had a baby. Compare the 2019 design with the '99 Fleer SI set, and then the '68 set, and you'll see what I mean.
Image result for 2019 topps
Image result for 1999 fleer sports illustratedImage result for 1968 topps
The nameplate from the '99 Fleer SI set, and the burlap-ish element from the '68 are what really stood out to me.

With all that being said, I decided to try and make a custom card out of the 2019 design and try to see how high up it would get in the google search results with the images of 2019 Topps being just days old. Here is my 2019 Topps Rob Manfred custom.
I chose him since the checklists aren't even out yet, knowing that Topps hasn't made a card of the commish in the flagship set since 1990. I may try to make a custom of Alex Cora or perhaps some Red Sox or Yankee coaches, but I will probably wait until more of the card images really come out, and I will definitely crank it into gear once the checklists come out and (hopefully) the 2019 cards on the custom card designer on Topps.com. 

I am working the next 2 days, but that means I will have all of Monday off to do customs (I think I will work on the 1998 set, and perhaps the 1978 Topps checklist, and Monday I may have time to do a few more, but will probably spend most of the day mowing the lawn (is it fall yet?). I may not get the '98 set done by the end of the year, but I think it will be darn close.
Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the custom! But what's with that photo of Manfred? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I couldn’t find a photo that was vertical that I wouldn’t have to resize, so I chose to use this one. That, and I may still be a little sore about Manfred not vetoing the Stanton trade.

      Delete