Thursday, July 5, 2018

Idea for a Blog Bat Around Post: The people who have put up with my collection

So I don't quite know how these Blog Bat Around posts work, seeing as I run a mainly custom baseball card based blog, and I don't have quite as much interaction with people that I probably would if I ran a baseball card-only tpye blog, but here goes. I would love to see others take this topic up if it hasn't been the subject of a Bat Around post already.

While reading a post from Tanner of Tan Man Baseball Fan about how he was quitting super-collecting Jose Canseco, it got me thinking. He had mentioned in the post about how he run future purchases past his wife, and although she allowed them, she could see that she was a little annoyed. He also mentioned how collecting, for whatever reason, had been the subject of the breakup of more than one marriage. While I hope my collecting will never get to that point, the post made me think of how appreciative I am of my wife, and also to a lesser extent, my parents, who have made many purchases of packs to add to my collection, and also put up with the time that I sort my cards, and the never ending hassle of where to store them. I would like to submit a Blog Bat Around post topic of highlighting the people who lovingly put up with our collections.

For me, number one would be my loving wife, Karen.

That is myself, our 19 month-old Kyler, and Karen. Karen has never been overly excited about my card collecting habit, but she has never tried to change it. She sweetly tries to learn all of the products that I buy packs of, and how they come out each year (Series 1, Series 2, Update, etc.). She goes to games with me, and goes early to get autographs, which is really a chore now that we have a little one running around. Every now and then, I will come home from work, and she will have a blaster or a hanging box waiting for me on the bed, just letting me know how much she appreciates me. She has let me take over our garage, and a bookshelf or two where I put my card albums, posters, autographs, and anything else baseball related. Finally, usually around Christmas or tax return time, she gives me a nice budget that I have been using the last few years to make some nice additions to my Player Collections. She just goes above and beyond letting me collect, and embraces it just like it were herself with the hobby.

Image may contain: 3 people, indoor
My Dad and I at the Cowboys locker rooms.
Image may contain: 1 person
My Mom and I at my wedding reception.

The other two people I wanted to highlight were my mom and dad. While I really haven't gotten any packs of cards from them in a while, they did put quite alot of money into my collection when I was growing up in the form of cards, pages, binders, and taking me to games to try to get them autographed. From around 1993 on, I went to one Spring Training game a year, from about 1996 on, I went to countless minor league games (at least 100 from '96-'11), and countless Major League games from 1998 on (probably at least 50 through this year). They probably share the highest percentage of cards in my collection from the sheer amount of packs they purchased me growing up. They wasted probably 2-4 hours every game staying late and coming early for me to get autographs (that's not even counting the time wasted going to the game and driving to and from). This was in an era before cellular phones were big, so they couldn't get any work stuff done, or really do anything productive other than read a book or help me. I'm sure they loved my company, but dang, they gave up alot of their time for me. My parents never got involved in my collection like helping me sort cards or looking for cards for me at card shows or anything (which I really wanted them to), but with 3 other kids, they had enough on their plate, and the sheer number of cards that I have in my collection now, as well as the time they took taking me to games is totally worth more than that. It's crazy the stuff that I see now that I have a child of my own. They gave up so much for me. I am forever indebted.

So that wraps up this post, I think. Do you have people in your life (parents, siblings, wife, girlfriend, whoever) who are, or have been gracious with your collecting cards? If you think this is a good topic, feel free to take it and do  your own post, and let others know. Thanks for taking the time to ready my latest post.
-Jeremy

5 comments:

  1. Nice post and tribute to the loved ones who have helped your collection.
    Collecting was a family affair when I was in middle school. My mom even built the '89 Upper Deck set from packs! My dad would take my sister and I to card shows all over central Illinois on the weekends. That was back in the day when there was seemingly a card show every weekend. It's some of my fondest memories as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice post.

    I don't have any stories about my significant others and my collection that I haven't told already. Perhaps if I think of something new, I'll write something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! My parents have certainly impacted my time in the hobby -- Dad shares the enthusiasm, and Mom tolerates all the space my cards take up! Not too many people in my social circle know about my card collection, and the ones that do don't have much of an impact on it either way (been a long time since I had a friend who collected).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool topic. I'm a little behind on posts... but I'll try my best to join in on this BBA.

    ReplyDelete