Tuesday, March 6, 2018

COMC Haul

The last 2 years after we got our tax return money back, my wife has been nice enough to let me get a bunch of cards from COMC that have been on my want list. This past year, I placed my order right before the WBC, and before I had started collecting former members of the Dutch National Team, so I have a bunch of those guy on my list. Here are the cards I got, starting with guys in my Favorite Player Collection binder.


I am particularly excited about the Andruw Jones WBC relic and the Richie Sexson Brewers patch. I recently added Ron Artest Metta World Peace to my Favorite Player Collection after watching him on Big Brother Celebrity Edition this past month. That guy is crazy.

Next up are cards for my Highlights and Famous Rookie Card binders. I got a Derek Fisher card for my collection and for my son Kyler's (Kyler's first game was Fisher's MLB debut where Derek hit a Homer for his first hit, and later followed with a single in the same inning as the Astros batted around). I picked up a few key rookies from the '90's and '00's that I had never got, but kind of always wanted, including Bagwell's '91 Stadium Club rookie, Giambi's '91 Topps Traded USA card, Tony Clark's '94 Bowman's Best and '94 Bowman Preview rookies, a '97 Bowman Miguel Tejada, '97 Bowman Chrome Jose Cruz, Jr. and Travis Lee rookies (Lee is an International Parallel), a '98 Bowman Chrome Ryan Leaf rookie, a '99 Bowman Chrome Corey Patterson rookie, Adam Dunn and Alfonso Soriano from '99 Topps Traded (Chrome Soriano), an '00 Bowman Chrome Refractor of Rick Asadoorian, '01 Upper Deck MVP Ichiro rookie (which I couldn't believe was only 4 bucks!), an '01 Sweet Spot Mark Prior rookie, an '02 Bowman Dontrelle Willis, and '05 Topps Jay Bruce and Jered Weaver rookies. None of these are really worth anything now, but back in the '90's and '00's, these were pretty hot cards.

Finally, for the Game-Used and Special Card binder, I got Fragments of the Farm relics of a championship flag, seat, tarp, pitching rubber, and netting from various different minor league parks. I think the Fragments of the Farm issues are nice collectibles, and it's refreshing to see something different than the usual jerseys and bats. I think with these relic cards, I have just about a whole baseball field covered as far as relic cards. I have a base, home plate, pitching rubber, outfield wall, seat, flag, pitching rubber, tarp, and bunting.
I got jersey cards of Miguel Cabrera, Clayton Kershaw, and Mariano Rivera. I was hoping to get ones from Derek Jeter (hate him, but just becasue he is such a big name), Bryce Harper, and Mike Trout, but they were a little more than I wanted to pay.
Finally, I didn't get the '92 ToppsGold autograph card of Brien Taylor, but I did get one from Classic. I had Tony Clark's 1996 Upper Deck Future Stock Prospects card, but I got it signed, and ultimately, when I sold some of my cards, Tony's was with them, so I got it back with my order. I have always liked the Bowman's Best Cuts insert set in '97 Bowman's Best, and I got this Jose Cruz, Jr. Atomic Refractor.
This purchase will ultimately put me back a little bit as far as it comes to updating my Favorite Player Collection posts, but I hope to finish them up and have them as up-to-date as I can, and then get cranking on customs with my favorite players represented on my blog.
Most everyone has got '18 Topps Heritage, but I am a little late to the party. I hope to get some the next time I go to Target. I have the '18 Topps checklist page up, and the Topps site has the custom '18 Topps maker up now too, so some friends on the FB Custom Card Page have knocked some off of the list. I am just hoping to focus on finishing the '98 set, and maybe start the '93 Topps or '91 Topps set.

Thanks for checking out my latest post.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment