Monday, June 26, 2023

Vacation part 2

 We got to DC on a Wednesday night I believe, and the next day we went to tour the White House. I thought it was going to be a nice tour where you get some time to look at everything and see some stuff up close, but it seemed like they just wanted to get people in and get them out. Secret service was everywhere, which I figured would be the case. Karen said the tours before 9-11 and the 2021 riots were a lot more friendly, so I can understand why it was like it was. We got to the White House visitor center first and the info person there told us where to go for the tour.  While there, I found a place that had stamps you could stamp paper with that had different White House things and the date. As many of you know, any time I go to a historical place or a baseball stadium, if I have a card of the place, I write the date that I visited the place on it, and note who I was with. I have an Allen & Ginter mini insert of the White House which I took with me on the trip, and I figured why not stamp it on the back, as well as mark it with the date and Karen & Kylers names on the front. I haven’t got around to marking the front, but here’s how it looks now. 

The stamp didn’t come out as clear as I had hoped, but if you squint, you can see the date and White House info on it. I also found a cool card relating to my trip to the Pirates game from the big junk wax lot that John for Johnny’s Trading Spot so graciously let me have. You will have to wait for that as I am doing that bunch of cards in at least its own post, maybe 2-3. 

Before the tour, we waited in line to go through security, and we saw the Presidents Motorcade leave the White House. That was kind of cool. While close to the security area, Karen mentioned that the building next to the White House was the Treasury building or something. She lived in DC for a few years in high school. Later, during the tour, there was a picture of a president on a wall, and Kyler had been fascinated with presidents for a while and has a placemat with all of them on it. Kyler said he thought the painting was on McKinley, and the secret service agent in the room said he was correct. Kind of cool to have secret service tell my wife and son that they were right. I hang out with cool company. 

At the first part of the tour, we saw a garden through a window. There was a guy in a suit talking on the phone, and he had a leash and was kind of watching the dog (who was off the leash).  We think it might have been the presidents dog, but still aren’t sure. 

We got a picture near the exit before leaving. 
Before we went back to the hotel, we stopped by Karens old church and toured the building. 
The next day, we were just tired, and stayed in the room most of the day and hung out. 

Saturday we went to the National Zoo. It was pretty hot, and we got off to a late start, so we only spent a few hours there. 
Sunday was Fathers Day, and we took the Metro to the Nats-Marlins game. Riding the Metro, we ran into some bums, tourists, and just your normal subway riders. 
I think he was looking for some Jedi, but fortunately for us, we didn’t see any there. 

We got to the game as the doors opened, and I was impressed with the stadium. A block or 2 away from the park, it was just like a block party. Streets were blocked off, people were selling snacks and Nats stuff from tables on the steeet, and Nats gear was everywhere. Why can’t the Rays do this in St. Pete? Inside the park, it almost looked like some outside features were on the inside. Ticket sales had a few windows and looked like something you could see outside a ballpark. 
We rushed to our seat area and I got down to business, which was to try to meet DeLand native and Marlins catcher Nick Fortes. We made a sign that said we drove from DeLand to see him play, and luckily for us, he was the first person out of the dugout. He saw our sign and came over. I mentioned I live in DeLand and he asked what we were doing in DC. I told him we were on vacation and he signed a card for us. 

He was a really nice guy, and I think he would’ve signed without us having the sign, as he stopped for a few other fans. Needless to say, I am collecting him and hope he gets in some 2023 sets. I got a few pictures of him warning up and playing. He went 2-4 with 2 hits, an RBI, and a run. 

We left the game in the 4th or so. It was just so freaking hot in our section. I got a shot of the field on the way out. 
After the game, we were tired, but decided to see the Lincoln Memorial since we were in DC for just the rest of Sunday and were leaving Monday. 

We ended up parking closer to the Washington Monument, so went over to it first. Karen had seen all of the touristy things multiple times, so she took pictures of me and Kyler and stayed back for some of the places. Here is me and Ky at the Washington Monument. 

After that, we walked the length of the reflecting pool and went to the Lincoln Memorial. We probably walked 3 miles that day between the historic sites and the ballgame, but it was worth it. 

That wraps up our vacation. We drove home Monday and I spent Tuesday unpacking and mowing our front yard as it was so long it was starting to attract cows. Wednesday I was off, and that gave me the chance to head over to Ocala and pick up that huge lot of junk wax cards from John. Words cannot express how lucky and grateful I am that John not only got the cards for me, but also let me rummage through his trade box for some Rays cards. That will be the subject of the next post or three. It’s a ton of cards, but I just want to do it justice. 

Thanks for checking out my latest post. 


  1. Nice. You guys are making some sweet memories.

  2. Given how crazy everyone is these days, I'm kind of surprised that they still even do White House tours. I've never been that interested in going to DC, but I do have to admit that I think that it would be really cool to see all of the monuments in person.

  3. Maybe the tour seemed rushed since the President was there? Anyway, great pics and thanks for the recap!