Saturday, March 25, 2023

A repack and a first year Bowman Julio Rodriguez

 So a couple of weeks ago my wife’s van got stolen. Long story short, a group of 7 people drove 2 cars from Apopka to Deltona, robbed a bank, drove to DeLand, one of the cars broke down, they stole ours and abandoned the other 2 cars, attempted to rob a store in DeLand, and drove back to Apopka where they abandoned our car. They are still at large, our car ended up being totaled, and now we have a newer car, but 5 extra years of payments. Not the best outcome, but at least the car is a little newer and this mess is finally done. It probably means I have to be a little more selective with card purchases as the payment is a tad higher. 
I wasn’t expecting to get any cards yesterday when we went to Target, but my mother in law was taking Kyler out to dinner, and they went to Walgreens after, and she got me a repack. It had like 100 cards and a pack of ‘89 Score. 

The cards were mostly what I expected, a bunch of junk wax, most of what I already had, but there were a few fun cards, like the All-Star Game stamp 2017 Topps Rob Segedin and the ‘93 Upper Deck Zane Smith with the throwback uni. 
The Mike Thurman card was from a Classic set I had never heard of. I pulled 2 ‘89 Topps Shawn Hillegas cards. Classic repack. 
The Blue Jays hologram was a nice surprise. One day I am going to take all of my stickers/holograms of team logos and put them on my binders on the fronts. The Hershiser might be a new one, and the last card was actually a Steve Young football card. Anybody know who I contact to get a replacement baseball card for it?
The real highlight of the pack was a Julio Rodriguez first year Bowman. Didn’t think I would see it in a repack, but you can one good cards in them. 

I know he’s popular and this card is going to be worth a ton with all of the Homers he’s hit and the ROY award last year, but I’m keeping it in my collection right now and maybe getting it graded. 

While the repack didn’t have much firepower, there were some fun cards and new ones for my collection, so it’s a win in my book. Especially if retail cards are out of the picture for a little bit. 
Thursday we’ll be going to the Rays game and I’m sure I’ll have a post about it when we get back. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my latest post. 
-Jeremy


9 comments:

  1. Looks a lot like the repacks I get at my local Walgreens, though I don't think I've pulled a football card out of a baseball box. And I stopped buying them because they all had 1988 Donruss packs. If any of them had 1989 Score packs or at least something different I might go back and get another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should get a repack and not open them and swap them sometime. I think I am probably still short a few cards of both the 1988 Donruss and 1989 Score sets.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. I would’ve loved if it was of the 2022 ROY winner, but if it wasn’t, I was hoping it was of the guy who was a non-roster invitee with Detroit this year, as I am seeing them play the Rays on Opening Day this year, and I would possibly have the chance to get it signed. Alas, it was neither of them, but at least I got a card of someone that I don’t have.

      Delete
  3. no worries on the wrong J-Rod, I'm positive those boxes from JAX a couple of weeks ago, were loaded with the right one. Pulled two different for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not really worried about it, but if you do have a card to spare…

      Delete
  4. Here's hoping they eventually catch those robbers/van thieves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it would make me feel a little better to know they paid for all of the trouble they put us through. Hopefully the Justice system will give them the maximum punishment and no parole if they do get caught.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to read about your van :(

    ReplyDelete