Saturday, February 14, 2015

1990 Topps Dave Dravecky Highlights




Dave Dravecky is one of my favorite players ever. I never watched him pitch, and his career ended 3-4 seasons before I really started following baseball, but I read a few of his books, and am inspired how he beat cancer to pitch in the Bigs again. It just happens to be his birthday today, and he just happens to be the next card on my list, and his friend Atlee Hammaker just happens to be the next card on my list on my other blog, Completing the 1992 Topps Set. That's kind of crazy.

Dave got a regular card in the '90 Topps set, as well as base cards from Score and Upper Deck. I have always wanted to try to make a 1990 Donruss and Fleer card of him, but I don't know if I should post it on this blog or not.

Topps didn't make highlight cards until the 1997 set, but I have made a few in sets that Topps didn't feature them, including a 1990 Topps Bo Jackson Highlight card. 1990 Topps has the most cards so far in my custom Topps "Cards that never Were" set with 6.

I used GIMP to do the rotating on the text on the back of the card, and after a few mistakes, I think I got the concept down, and really like how it turned out. If you compare it to the '90 Bo Jackson back, I think it really puts that one to shame. I found a picture of an actual game ticket, some shots of the scoreboard, and 1 of Dave pitching in his comback game on the blog Sons of Johnnie LeMaster, and used some of them on the card. I decided to try to make the card a horizontal one, and like how it turned out as well.

Thanks for checking out this blog, and if you are ever interested in it, my other blog Completing the 1992 Topps Set is a project I am working on to give a 1992 Topps card to everyone who appeared in a MLB game in the 1991 season. If you have any comments, suggestions, ideas, or questions, feel free to write them in the comment box. I love comments and followers and love to get a feel for the kinds of collectors reading my blog so I can appeal to their interests. Happy Valentines Day to my awesome wife, and everyone reading this.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment